Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari unresponsive

Over the last few months I have had a lot of trouble with the Safari browser becoming unresponsive. I have the latest version installed, version 9.1 and I am running El Captain 10.11.4. What happens is that I will open the browser and it will work at first but then I will click on a link and I get the spinning color wheel and will have to close the window and or quit Safari completely. I have tried clearing the cache and browser history but the problem keeps happening. I have an iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) but the problem is also showing up on my wifes MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012). I run CleanMyMac 3 software regularly on both computers. Also both computers have plenty of RAM installed. It has gotten to the point that I am going to start using Firefox for my primary browser which I really don't want to do but I don't have much of a choice. I think I have tried just about everything I can think of but if anybody has any ideas on how to clear this problem I would like to hear it.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 10:05 AM

9 replies

Apr 26, 2016 10:11 AM in response to randalfromaz

Hold down the option key when you quit any Apple app or hold down the shift key when launching to "discard" previous windows.

Force Quit Safari ( command + option + esc keys). Then, Relaunch Safari holding the shift key. Then, turn off Safari extensions (Safari menu > Preferences > Extensions)

Then download and runMalwareBytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC. It gets rave reviews and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Apr 26, 2016 1:50 PM in response to randalfromaz

Please launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Apr 27, 2016 7:43 AM in response to randalfromaz

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Apr 30, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Not entirely sure but my problem may have been solved. Our cable modem failed a couple of days ago and a technician came out to diagnose the problem. After checking cable connections and the signal coming from the cable he installed a new modem. Everything seems to be work normally again. Perhaps the modem was starting to fail causing Safari to have problems until the modem completely failed.

Safari unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.