Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freezes when iPod Classic is connected

Today I was putting some music on my iPod Classic 160gb...the files were transferring and I was editing some information in iTunes at the same time and iTunes froze and then I had to restart the computer...now two things are happening:

1. The music on my iPod has been erased from it. All my music is still on my computer/iTunes runs fine

2. When I connect the iPod classic to my computer, instead of recognizing the device and letting me put music on the iPod, iTunes freezes, and I have to force quit it.

The iPod shows up in Finder as a connected device, but iTunes implodes every time I connect the iPod. Help?

Edit: Just went to the 'About' portion of the iPod...on the second screen it says 81.5 GB used, 67.3 free...and then underneath that under Songs and Artists etc. it all just says 0. So something got knocked out of place...is there any way to just format the iPod without using iTunes to do it?

iPod classic, null

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 10:14 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2016 10:30 AM in response to turingtest2

Retracts: 7

Reallocs: 232

Pending Sectors: 160

Poweron Hours: 136

Start/Stops: 22286

Temp: Current 24c

Temp: Min 51c

Temp: Max 249c

I guess I'll add that before whenever connecting the iPod to iTunes it would freeze up like this for about...5-10 seconds before recognizing the device and then everything working smoothly...thinking maybe I should format the iPod in Disk Utility and then just re-add all my music to it?

Apr 26, 2016 3:10 PM in response to stgstv

That should be worth a shot. Pending sectors now is probably why it is freezing up, but the overall reallocation and pending count together isn't too high. Reformatting should release the pending sectors. Temperature readings don't make sense which probably indicates a severe crash at some point wrote spurious data into that location.

tt2

Apr 26, 2016 3:13 PM in response to stgstv

When reformatting an iPod with Disk Utility, select the iPod device, not the volume indented below, in the Disk Utility sidebar. If your OS X is El Capitan with the "new-look" Disk Utility, in the Erase setup pane, use the following settings

Name - [does not matter]

Format - OS X Extended (Journaled)

Scheme - Apple Partition Map

And, you'll need to do a Restore in iTunes to re-install the iPod's onboard software, even if iTune does not prompt you.

iTunes freezes when iPod Classic is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.