Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem getting bluetooth apt-x codec to work

I have a Sennheiser headphone that I pair with my iMac over bluetooth. For best audio quality I want the aptx codec to be active.

The problem is, that I can't force the aptx codec to be active. Sometimes my imac uses SBC, sometimes it uses aptx. I already tried the force setting aptx using the Bluetooth explorer but that doesn't work either.

Anyone an idea?

I have a 2012 27" iMac running OS-X El Capitan 10.11.4

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2017 12:31 PM

After some digging, the only solution I found is to switch the Input from Bluetooth to Internal Microphone in Sound Preferences. After a few seconds, this switches the audio codec from SCO to SBC, with huge audio quality improvements.

I'm guessing all this is caused by the microphone present in the QC35, which seems to cause the Bluetooth connection to use SCO codec. This might also have to do with Bluetooth Profiles, using HFP (Hands-Free) instead of A2DP or something like this.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2017 12:31 PM in response to calvinvinz

After some digging, the only solution I found is to switch the Input from Bluetooth to Internal Microphone in Sound Preferences. After a few seconds, this switches the audio codec from SCO to SBC, with huge audio quality improvements.

I'm guessing all this is caused by the microphone present in the QC35, which seems to cause the Bluetooth connection to use SCO codec. This might also have to do with Bluetooth Profiles, using HFP (Hands-Free) instead of A2DP or something like this.

Apr 26, 2016 12:42 PM in response to lexvo

I'm so sorry you need additional hardware packages, but you can download them from Apple Developer website (https://developer.apple.com/) and try to register for free

These steps for installation:

1. Open https://developer.apple.com/downloads/

2. Search "Hardware IO Tools for Xcode 7.3"

3. Click + symbol and download Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg file

4. Go to /Applications/Utilities/

5. Create new folder with name Hardware IO Tools

6. Open Hardware_IO_Tools_for_Xcode_7.3.dmg

7. Copy all of files to Hardware IO Tools folder

8. Turn on your Bluetooth and connect to your headphone

9. Open Bluetooth Explorer.app inside of Hardware IO Tools folder

10. Choose Edit > Tools > Audio Options...

11. Tick Force use of aptX

Done 🙂

Apr 27, 2016 11:06 AM in response to lexvo

I tried to remove and reconnect my headphone over bluetooth, but now I can't connect my headphone at all! I tried several times but the headphone won't connect. The problem is with the iMac/OS-X as the headphone connects with no problem to my iPhone.

I also tried deleting the com.apple.bluetooth.plist and rebooting my iMac but that didn't help either. BTW my magic mouse connects with no problem over bluetooth.

I don't have a good feeling about OS-X and bluetooth..... 😟

Apr 28, 2016 9:59 AM in response to lexvo

Spoke too soon I guess..... 😟

My headphone is still working over bluetooth but SBC is always selected as codec. I tried force APTX again via the Bluetooth Explorer but that doesn't work. Yesterday the APTX codec was always selected without needing to force set it. I think the Bluetooth Explorer is not working on my system.

I guess I have to live with this erratic behaviour 😟

Nov 18, 2016 9:59 AM in response to lexvo

I'm having the exact same problem.

2015 iMac running El Capitan.

My Bose Quietcomfort 35's connect fine to my Macbook and my iPhone, but when I connect them to my iMac at work it defaults to the SCO codec and sounds terrible. It also sounds like the microphone is picking up ambient sounds and voices around me. When I restart my computer, the first time I connect it sometimes chooses APT-X but if I turn my headphones off and then back on it defaults back to SCO.

I've tried Bluetooth Explorer, Terminal commands, trashing the preference, Resetting PRAM and SMC, but nothing seems to be working.

Problem getting bluetooth apt-x codec to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.