Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self-assign ip on student MacBook Airs 10.10

I have several student MacBook Airs that are getting dropped off the wi-fi because of self-assign ip addresses while in the classroom. The minute the students come into the hall or down to my office, they get automatically connected and have the problem is resolved. I send them back to the classroom, and they get knock off the wifi again. What could be the problem? This is happening to the same students, but not the entire class.

MACBOOK AIR (11-INCH, EARLY 2015)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 11:32 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2016 11:58 AM in response to kimtuv

What's the make/model of AP you are using in the room with problems?
What's the maximum recorded number of clients on the AP at the time with the problem?

I would usually load an AP with 50 clients, 100 is pushing the limits of reliable and effective wireless communications.

Are you sure three /24's is enough? How many devices are onsite every day?

What does your DHCP server show for total IP usage when the clients can't connect?

Have you run wireshark on a computer that won't connect?

Have you set 2.4 and 5GHz channels properly? (Wireless Survey with NetSpot or other similar tools)

I would turn off the 2.4 ghz radio completely and run on 5Ghz and see if that improves or worsens the issue.

Self-assign ip on student MacBook Airs 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.