Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't boot into windows after having resized my mac partition

any help would be greatly appreciated

diskutil list

User uploaded file

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

User uploaded file

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 1:42 PM

25 replies

Apr 27, 2016 4:05 AM in response to Loner T

i haven't made any attempts to restore Windows since i couldn't find command outputs similar to mine in the various forums i read. what happened was i tried using Camptune X to resize partitions. it failed but both operating systems remained intact and bootable and since i had tried shrinking the Mac partition by about 55GB, by then it actually was 55GB smaller although the Windows partition had remained unchanged. after having booted into Windows and having opened its standard partition manager, i noticed that the 55GB were "Unallocated space" so, after having installed a third-party software (Partition Wizard), i expanded the Windows partition so that it would use up all the unallocated space. by then, i realised the additional space i had assigned to Windows wasn't enough but this time, instead of using Camptune X again which had previously failed, i stupidly decided to use Disk Utility. so i booted into Mac's recovery partition, launched Disk Utility and tried shrinking Mac's partition by about 10GB but it told me i had to make a bigger change. coincidentally, the amount i ended up assigning to the new partition for it to work was about 55GB. after that, i was no longer able to boot into windows nor see its partition in finder or disk utility

sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0s5 count=1 2>/dev/null hexdump -C

User uploaded file

Apr 28, 2016 5:18 AM in response to LapoDiLatta

No worries. 😉

Your layout looks to be (start, size)

GPT3 - Apple Recovery HD (459309032, 1269536)

GPT4 - Bootcamp Windows (460578792, 400093177)

GPT5 - Content to be determined - (684109824, 292663296) - this is correct as it stands now.

Your Local Recovery does not work. Please install OS X on an external disk and boot from it. How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support .

A. We need to disable SIP.

1. Boot into Local Recovery (Command+R).

2. Start Utilities -> Terminal.

3. Type csrutil disable in Terminal and press Enter/Return.

4. Type csrutil status.

5. Boot normally, and type csrutil status to confirm that all individual entries are still disabled.

B. Rebuild non-standard MBR.

Download GPT Fdisk from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/ and install it on the OS X side. The following steps are executed when booted in OS X.

Install GPT Fdisk (aka gdisk). Leave your Testdisk display and start a new Terminal Window. You need to use the following steps. If you see any error messages during the following steps, please stop and post back here with the error message. The following steps have values from your Testdisk output (and you can verify) in Steps 7 and 8. Please notice the'+' sign in step 8 (this is called offset notation). The text in parentheses is for informational purpose to describe the action being taken. Gdisk has one-character commands except when entering numbers.

Rebuild GPT3 and 4 using start/end offsets

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (print the full list of parts)
  3. D (delete)
  4. 3 (part 3)
  5. D (delete)
  6. 4 (part 4)
  7. N (new part)
  8. 3 (part 3 - Recovery HD)
  9. 459309032 ( - Start offset in sectors or the start point for Recovery HD part)
  10. +1269536 ( - Size offset, as opposed to End offset)
  11. AB00 (Recovery HD)
  12. N (new part)
  13. 4 (part 4 - Bootcamp/Windows)
  14. 460578792 ( - Start offset in sectors or the start point for Bootcamp part)
  15. +400093177 ( - Size offset, as opposed to End offset)
  16. 0700 (Windows)
  17. P (print list of all parts just to see what changes will be made)
  18. W (Write the new GPT)
  19. Y (Yes! really write the new GPT)

This will delete and re-write the GPT partition info for /dev/disk0s3 and /dev/disk0s4.

Reboot. Please ensure you can see all partitions in Finder. Once you can, I can provide steps to correct Windows.

Apr 28, 2016 8:53 AM in response to Loner T

my recovery partition does work although i don't understand why it's 55.5 GB. i don't wish to have an additional mac partition, the space assigned to my additional mac partition was space i wanted to move over to the windows partition. i want to have one mac partition and one windows partition. all i wanted to do was make the windows one larger. of course i can't enter "+400093177" as the largest number i can set as last sector is "684109823". any suggestions? i'm kind of afraid of making matters worse. thank you so much, again

I can't boot into windows after having resized my mac partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.