Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pulled MacBook Pro out of my bag, blazing hot.

Dear Apple Friends,

Can someone please tell me why my MacBook Pro keeps waking itself up in my bag? I have "wake for BT devices" unchecked.

Here's a copy of what my "wake reasons" are...

User uploaded file

I plugged it in at around 3:10pm after pulling it out of my bag, it was boiling hot. I close the lid, it's supposed to go to sleep but clearly it's not.

Thank you, in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), iPhone 5S 32GB, iPad Mini 2 (32GB)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 3:21 PM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2016 7:29 PM in response to Oso Grande

Obviously it shouldn't be doing that. You have a warranty.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Apr 28, 2016 10:12 AM in response to Oso Grande

Have you looked in System Preferences/Energy Saver?

I have a much older MBP with older OSX that had a similar problem. When I looked at Energy Saver, it has the option to turn off "Wake for network access." When I did that, I got the helpful explanation: "When 'Wake for network access' is enabled, you may hear your computer wake up occasionally."

So maybe yours wakes up and keeps running?

Apr 28, 2016 1:09 PM in response to Oso Grande

On that first screen capture you posted, where 'Battery' is highlighted in blue, click on 'Power Adapter' to the right.

That should give you different options (I have not updated to El Capitan so I don't know).

If you don't have the option to turn off 'Wake for network access', try turning off 'Automatic graphics switching.'

Or, it may be a problem with your settings for iCloud. Or if you are accessing iCloud from other devices, it may cause your computer to run a lot.

Pulled MacBook Pro out of my bag, blazing hot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.