Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Apple TV to a Bose 321 without an HDMI connector

I have an older Bose 321 (Series II) system. I just purchased a 4th generation Apple TV and realized that there is no HDMI connector on the back of the Bose receiver. Is there a work-around so that I can run the Apple TV through the Bose? Thanks.

Apple TV

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 4:48 PM

I assume you just want to run the audio through the receiver, while sending the video direct to the TV. If so, there are devices that split the audio from an HDMI connection into optical or stereo pair (haven't said that in a while). Just be sure it handles HDCP correctly, or ATV will refuse to send it any video. Search around and shop carefully; caveat emptor.

Alternatively, does your TV have a suitable audio output you can use? How do you get TV sound to the receiver now? My Samsung TV has an optical output that I can feed to my receiver, and that works fine for ATV sound. And amazingly, it relays DD 5.1 from ATV.

I see your Bose 321 has only composite or S video inputs (those were the days). Do not even consider attempting to convert the ATV video down to these formats. Such converters will not handle HDCP and you will not be able to play any copy-protected content. Just use the Bose as your sound system.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2016 4:48 PM in response to laurencita

I assume you just want to run the audio through the receiver, while sending the video direct to the TV. If so, there are devices that split the audio from an HDMI connection into optical or stereo pair (haven't said that in a while). Just be sure it handles HDCP correctly, or ATV will refuse to send it any video. Search around and shop carefully; caveat emptor.

Alternatively, does your TV have a suitable audio output you can use? How do you get TV sound to the receiver now? My Samsung TV has an optical output that I can feed to my receiver, and that works fine for ATV sound. And amazingly, it relays DD 5.1 from ATV.

I see your Bose 321 has only composite or S video inputs (those were the days). Do not even consider attempting to convert the ATV video down to these formats. Such converters will not handle HDCP and you will not be able to play any copy-protected content. Just use the Bose as your sound system.

Apr 26, 2016 8:52 PM in response to laurencita

Your TV has 2 HDMI inputs.

WIth the optical out on the TV connected to the optical input on the 321 it should route all TV audio to the 321 no matter what input you use on the TV.

Connecting the ATV to one of those 2 HDMI inputs on the TV and pressing the TV video button of the TV several times until that input is selected will display ATV video and output ATV audio from the ATV to the 321.

Connecting Apple TV to a Bose 321 without an HDMI connector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.