Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod nano 7th generation won't turn on

I've tried reseting it with the power button and home and nothing. But when i do this when its plugged in on the computer it makes that disconnection noise. Also if i try to connect it to itunes it doesn't recognise the ipod as it says the software doesn't match the system and the ipod screen turns white. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 3:22 PM

9 replies

Apr 26, 2016 10:20 PM in response to Johno0

Is your 7th gen iPod nano from 2015 or later? Also, do you use a Mac or Windows PC? And what version of the OS (for either Mac or Windows)?

Also if i try to connect it to itunes it doesn't recognise the ipod as it says the software doesn't match the system and the ipod screen turns white.

IF your iPod nano is "2015" (current model), according to the tech specs

https://www.apple.com/ipod-nano/specs/

the system requirements (for the computer used to sync iPod) says

Mac: OS X v10.7.5 or later, and iTunes 12.2 or later

PC: Windows 7 or later, and iTunes 12.2 or later

The info you provided is limited, so I'm mostly guessing, but does your computer (and its software) meet those requirements? (If your iPod is an earlier model, including earlier 7th gen, those requirements do not apply.)

Apr 27, 2016 8:12 AM in response to Johno0

It would probably help if you provided more information about your situation... Do you use a Mac or Windows PC? And what version of the OS (for either Mac or Windows)? What version is iTunes?

Which iPod nano model do you have? This document shows the iPod models

Identify your iPod model - Apple Support

Did you try doing a Reset (restart) on the iPod?

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Johno0

You said your iPod does not turn ON. When you do a Reset (as described in linked document) while the iPod is NOT connected to the computer, nothing happens on the iPod's screen? You don't see the Apple logo? If you do see the Apple logo, what happens after that...?

If the iPod does not connect normally to iTunes, try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Shut down (power off) the computer and disconnect all USB devices. You can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected, if used. If your computer is a laptop, connect its power adapter so that it's not running on battery power. Then, start up computer, run iTunes, and connect iPod (in Disk Mode) to a direct USB port on the computer, by itself.

If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore. If the cause is data corruption on the iPod, doing a Restore erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings.

Apr 27, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Johno0

Because it's not clear to me what happens when you do a Reset while it's not connected to the computer? You did not answer that question.

You said your iPod does not turn ON. When you do a Reset (as described in linked document) while the iPod is NOT connected to the computer, nothing happens on the iPod's screen? You don't see the Apple logo? If you do see the Apple logo, what happens after that...?

How about you provide more details so that I understand your situation... 🙂 My mind-reading superpower is not working today...

Apr 27, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Pretty sure you don't need mind reading powers, to understand what i've said but okay.

"I've tried reseting it with the power button and home and nothing. But when i do this when its plugged in on the computer it makes that disconnection noise." You see this means i've tried to reset it but nothing happens. Nothing means no apple logo. It then says when i do it when its plugged in it makes a disconnection noise meaning it wasn't plugged into the computer before when nothing happened. Got it?

I'll just link you back to this point because you probably didn't read it. "how about you read what i've written".

Apr 27, 2016 9:41 AM in response to Johno0

Again, it was not clear to me what happens when you do a Reset while NOT connected to the computer. Thanks for the clarification on your last post... This is an exercise in problem-solving, not reading comprehension (or mind-reading). 🙂

If nothing happens when you do a Reset while the iPod is not connected to power, that may indicate the iPod's battery is worn out and not holding a charge. Therefore, the iPod does not turn on at all while disconnected. A dead battery can also cause the iPod to not start up, even when connected to power. Or it may be a problem on the iPod's Lightning connector that does not establish a power connection (so the iPod's does not receive power to operate and charge its battery).

Another possibility is a faulty USB docking cable. To rule out faulty cable as the cause, try a different cable. Or use the current cable with a different Apple device to confirm it works properly.

You should also do what I described in my previous post about Disk Mode (even if you can't put it into Disk Mode)

Shut down (power off) the computer and disconnect all USB devices. You can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected, if used. If your computer is a laptop, connect its power adapter so that it's not running on battery power. Then, start up computer, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the computer, by itself.

If you have a lot of USB devices connected at the same time, the total power draw may exceed the available power on the USB bus (so the iPod receives insufficient power). Connecting the iPod to a direct USB port by itself is a test to rule out that possibility.

Otherwise, you are limited in what you can do for troubleshooting, if the iPod does not turn ON at all.

ipod nano 7th generation won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.