Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences won't open from Apple menu

Anyone know a good fix for this?

A few weeks ago, I started noticing that I could no longer open my System Preferences application from the Apple Menu bar (either via the Apple logo > System Preferences, or via WiFi icon > Network Preferences, or even by right-clicking on the Desktop to change the Desktop Background, etc.).

WHAT WORKS:

I can open the System Preferences if I click directly on the application icon or try to open it from the dock.

I can open the application from the Apple menu if I sign in as another user.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

The problem doesn't go away when I restart in "safe boot" mode.

The problem doesn't go away when I run Disk Utility.

The problem doesn't go away when I remove the "Finder" and "System Preferences" .plist files from the Preferences folder in the user Library.

The problem doesn't go away when I remove the "Preference Pane" .cache files from the Cache folder in the user Library.

The problem doesn't go away when I zap the PRAM.

The problem does not go away when I replace the System Preferences application from a recent backup.

I was about to just try and re-install the MacOS, but thought I would try the forums first, since the Apple Support site said it should not be necessary if the problem is only limited to one user profile. I found lots of entries in the forums for this issue dated a few years ago, and have tried most of the solutions, but I don't think you can repair disk permissions anymore on El Capitan.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 6:53 PM

Considering all the things that you have tried that didn't work, in the time it would take for anymore troubleshooting, you could restore OS X in 45 minutes to an hour on a broadband connection using OS X Recovery.

Startup your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities to verify and repair the startup disk (if necessary) and restore OS X using OS X Recovery.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2016 6:53 PM in response to mkarst

Considering all the things that you have tried that didn't work, in the time it would take for anymore troubleshooting, you could restore OS X in 45 minutes to an hour on a broadband connection using OS X Recovery.

Startup your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities to verify and repair the startup disk (if necessary) and restore OS X using OS X Recovery.

Apr 26, 2016 6:53 PM in response to mkarst

Quit System Preferences

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library" then go to Preferences folder and delete these files/folders:

/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences .plist

/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.<12digitHexNumber>.plist

/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systempreferences.xxx.plist of them)

/Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

Apr 26, 2016 7:13 PM in response to mkarst

Although the problem is not the same, please follow the instructions in this support article to reset the Launch Services database.

Instead of typing the command as directed in the article, I suggest that you copy and paste it from the web page into the Terminal window. Make sure you select the whole line before copying. One way to do that is to triple-click anywhere in the line.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before proceeding. You may have to log out or restart to see a change.

System Preferences won't open from Apple menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.