Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule version 7.7.3 can't ftp

I can't ftp on port 21 via time capsule version 7.7.3. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 9:02 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2016 2:43 AM in response to paustria

FTP is used internally so it is a problem.. you cannot ftp to the TC itself if that is what you are asking.

There are lots of posts about the FTP issue.

FTP issues.

There are severe FTP issues with the AE.. the last couple of versions of the Gen1-5 firmware as well as the Gen 6.. See this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5300433?answerId=22948061022#22948061022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5122931?answerId=22927625022#22927625022

The last post in this thread by.. SBeattie2

I think will condemn you to replacement of the AC by a router that actually conforms to standards.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5122931

See last posts by SBeattie.. absolutely agree.. don’t waste your time on apple router.. replace with something else.

SFTP might work.. see this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5279178?answerId=22872985022#22872985022

Apr 27, 2016 9:02 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your response.

However, I mean I can't upload the files through hosting like godaddy, namecheap, etc... I can connect and browse the files through hosting via cyberduck but when I uploaded the file using cyberduck. I got an error.

Connection timed out
Timed out waiting for initial connect reply. Read timed out. The connection attempt timed out. The server may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.

I did test at Starbuck and it's working. So I assume it's either my time capsule or my router at this point.

Apr 27, 2016 3:33 PM in response to paustria

You need to bypass the TC .. it will block FTP connections. Albeit that should only happen if the TC is the main router.

In bridge it should work ok..

So I assume it's either my time capsule or my router at this point.

You need to fill in the details.. what router do you have? Is it modem router in one??

If the TC is setup with double NAT that is really bad.. you MUST use the TC in bridge in that case.

Apr 27, 2016 5:45 PM in response to LaPastenague

@Lapastenague

Thank you, again for responding. So, here is my infrastructure. I have Time Warner Cable as my internet provider. It connects through Motorola SURFboard SB6141. From Motorola SURFboard SB6141, I use Time Capsule as a WIFI router/storage to broadcast my WIFI signal in my house.

================

Time Warner Cable <------> Motorola SURFboard SB6141 <---------> Time Capsule <---------> iPhone, macbooks, printers
================

I use everything as factory default settings. If there is anything I need to change, could you please point me through?

Thank you!

Apr 27, 2016 5:53 PM in response to paustria

Ok.. you have a pure cable modem.. so the TC is the only router in the network.. unfortunately it has well known FTP issues.

As a test.. power off the modem (should be off for 10min but 5 might work or it might need 20min).. plug a computer directly to the modem.. power up the modem and then the computer after 2min.

This will pass the public IP directly to the computer.. now try doing your FTP uploads.. if it works.. that is the proof.. the TC is the issue.

Solution .. replace the TC as the main router.

TC will work fine in bridge and can continue to do wireless and TM backups etc.. but you need a more normal router to handle ports correctly.

They are not expensive.. a $50 TP-Link WR1043ND v2 or v3 will work fine.. even better it can be flashed to gargoyle or other firmware that works to provide network controls unheard of by apple routers.

Apr 28, 2016 10:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you very much, Lapastenague. I appreciate it. I will try it out and post the result on this feed. (I will order modem online so it might take some time.)

Thank you for being great asset of our APPLE/Tech community! 🙂

To Apple,

It's surprising that TC can't perform standard feature that other cheaper modem can do. I miss Steve Jobs. He won't let this pass through final product.

Time capsule version 7.7.3 can't ftp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.