Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto preferences

Whenever I try to open the preferences pane in iPhoto '09, ver 8.1.2, it freezes up with the spinning ball and I have to force quit. This is on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.5 . I can open it up in the guest user acct with no problems. Any insight into what is happening. I deleted both the plist file and cache folder with no effect.

iMac, ibook, powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 11:04 PM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2016 11:19 AM in response to dadof89

If you're using iPhoto 9.4.3 or earlier you can stop the crashing by doing the following but will lose the map feature in the library.

iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier began to crash for many users all of a sudden a few weeks ago. This is because the contract between Apple and Google for use of Google maps with iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier for Locations expired a couple of months age and was not renewed. That is the case of the freezes or crashes.

Apple now uses its own Maps program for Locations and too use it you must be running iPhoto 9.5.1 and Mavericks or 9.6.1 and Yosemite or El Capitan or Photos and El Capitan.

Try Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermon

I found a fix that works for me.

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources (Control (right)-click on the iPhoto app and select Show Contents in the contextual menu - OT.)

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. Going offline does obviously do the same. So it is pretty clear, that something happened on Google's end.

There's a hack posted by user cotton-x that will let iPhoto 9 and earlier continue to use Google Maps for the location feature.

cotton-x

Dec 16, 2015 2:49 PM

Re: iPhoto 11 - Problems With Photo Locations

in response to Paul Fisher

YES!

I have just made it work.

I'm on a white macbook running 10.7.5 with iPhoto 9.4.3

Thanks to Paul I had an idea. What if we just ignored Apple's expired API and used our own, private and free from Google. Turns out it works.

Here's what you have to do:

0- Close iPhoto

1- Create a google account or use your own

2- Access Google's developers console HERE

3- Create a project (any name)

4- Activate a Google Maps Javascript API

5- Generate your own API key

6- Go to folder /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/googleMap.html

7- Edit the googleMap.html (I've used an application called TextWrangler)

8- Change this src="http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?v=3&client=gme-appleinc&sensor=false"> to this src="https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=YOUR_KEY_HERE&signed_in=true&sensor=false">

9- Save your freshly edited googleMap.html

10- Open iPhoto and enjoy.

Take that Apple.

User uploaded file

Be sure to make a backup copy of the iPhoto application before attempting this procedure.

However, be aware that as of April 1, 2016 iPhoto is no longer able to order any products from the Apple Print Product store.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2016 5:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I tried Huxley 647 work around but ran into a problem. I only had one of the two files in my resources folder. I only had googlemap.html but not googlesearch. html. With just removing the one file, I still have the same problem with the app crashing when opening preferences. But we are on the right track. Before removing the one file, I turned off my wifi connection and tested. It worked fine. So any idea which file is still causing a problem

Apr 28, 2016 8:06 AM in response to dadof89

Have you rebooted since removing the one file?

Also to verify that there's no googleresearch file anywhere download and run Find Any File to search for a file whose name is "googlesearch.html". This is a file common to all versions of iPhoto libraries.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages. If there's a library hiding somewhere on your hard drive FAF will find it.

Apr 28, 2016 8:40 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, the mystery continues. I downloaded find any file and it did not find any file "googlesearch. html". I then did a search on just search.html which produced several files, mostly Acrobat reader search files. But there was one iPhoto file called "localsearch.html" Any chance this could be the file.

I also rebooted with no change.

iphoto preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.