Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mb 12" retina: random disconnects with external usb3.1typeC disc "sandisk extreme 900 960GB"

hello,

i recently bought an external disc of 960GB "sandisk extreme 900" with usb3.1typC connection. the disc has no other port.

it is directly connected to my macbook 12" retina with usb3.1typeC port, and i experienced random disconnects, without physically moving either the macbook or the external disc. the disconnects happen only, when a copy is going on, i am copying 100 or 200GB.

the plug is connected properly and does not show up anymore at the finder or in the apple harddisctool app - after the disconnect.

when i reboot 3 times, it shows up with error "drive my be damaged, you can read but not write, format this disc"

when i test the drive on my imac 27", i dont get discconnects. but then i use a different cable: "usb3.1typeC to usb3.0"

- is this model "sandisk extreme 900" compatible with the mb 12" retina?

- is there enough power supply by the mb 12" retina? e.g. when 30% power is left, i unplug the powercable and plug the external sandisk into the mb - then i wonder if the external disc could get enough power?

thanks!

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), mb 12" retina with 256GB SSD

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 2:03 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2016 2:44 AM in response to peppermint

selfanswering:

sandisk lists this product "extreme 900" as tested, veryfied and compatible with the apple macbook 12" retina on their website.

as the disconnects are only happening, when i copy files, i think its not getting enough power from the mb12", above all, when power is low (10%).

i cannot use the powerplug of the mb12" as it only has one port.

the only thing which is strange: when the power of the mb12" is low (10%), and the external disc is copying files, it should not disconnect the drive.

the power-display of 10% should fall rapidly down to 0.

mb 12" retina: random disconnects with external usb3.1typeC disc "sandisk extreme 900 960GB"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.