Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unknown error occurred (0xE8000084), Windows Vista and iTouch

Hello all. Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I'm experiencing this exact issue at the moment and am desperately looking for solutions. I previously posed this question to the iTouch forum but didn't get any luck.

I've tried many of the suggestions offered here in this thread with no luck. For some reason, I was not able to try the ones involving using the Task Manager. Whenever I try to do anything with the Apple files, I get a pop up saying that my access is denied and that the operation couldn't be done. I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell XPS 420 that's in good working order and I don't have any issues with my iTouch / iTunes except for this. iTunes is refusing to acknowledge my iTouch, although my computer does appear to recognize it on some level as I get the option to safely remove hardware after I connect my iTouch.

For two or three days before I made my forum post, I was getting the "An unknown error occurred (0xE8000084)." error message every few minutes for the entirety of the time my iTouch was plugged into my desktop, followed by another error message about iTunes not recognizing my iTouch and asking me to disconnect it then reconnect it.

In spite of those messages, I was still able to charge my iTouch but in the last day, I haven't been able to do that. In fact, my iTouch has spent most of its time with a completely blank screen since then. When I try to restart it (power and touch buttons), the Apple logo pops up for a bit but then it goes blank again. I've barely been able to access the screen at all.

When I do, it generally works fine although accessing some of my apps has been a bit more difficult than usual. My battery indicator is all over the place and under the Battery tab in Settings, there was no record for its last full charge, even though I charge it nearly every day. The battery indicator is usually in the red but will then randomly go to white or green before going red again and giving me the "Last 20$" remaining pop-up.

I've also followed the advice on this link ( If you see a '0xE' error when you connect your iOS device to a PC - Apple Support )and I've also tried restoring my computer which seems to have done something as I'm no longer getting the error messages but am experiencing the rest of the issues I detailed in this post.

I'm practically at my wits end, If anyone has any further advice or suggestions to offer, I'd be very appreciative. I'm not very good with technology myself and I tend to rely on others to help me with it. Does anybody think it would be worth going to a Genius bar? Or uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes?

<Re-Titled and Post Branched by Host>

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 3:35 AM

6 replies

May 11, 2017 3:58 AM in response to littledeviant

You can get rid of this annoying error message by following the instructions listed below.

1. Connect your Apple device with the PC and quit iTunes before proceeding further.

2. Now, you need to open the Task Manager by pressing Alt + Ctrl + Del keys at same time.

3. Inside the Task Manager, sort the processes by their image name or description and kill every process starting with the word “Apple”. In order to kill the process, right click over the selected process and click End Process or End Task.

4. You are also required to kill the process called AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe in order to complete the steps.

5. After it is done with Task Manager, open the Run command by pressing Win + R keys on the keyboard and copy /paste the following command listed below, inside the Run text box and press OK button afterwards.

Get more information in *******.
<Link Edited by Host>

Apr 27, 2016 7:39 AM in response to littledeviant

Hello littledeviant. Your problem might be related to the fact that Apple ended support for Windows Vista and XP with the release of iTunes 12.2.0 on June 30, 2015. The last iTunes version to support Vista, and the only version that might be able to support an iPod touch running iOS 9 is 12.1.3.6. You can find a download link here: http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#versions. However difficult it is to support the device now, it will probably become impossible if you allow the iOS 10 upgrade coming in September.

Apr 27, 2016 10:33 PM in response to Marvin Martianul

Hello Marvin Martianul. I followed your link and downloaded your recommended version of iTunes which installed successfully. When I attempted to run it, it offered me the option to repair iTunes or delete and replace it. I tried both and sadly, neither helped. iTunes still won't recognize my iPod, it won't charge and the screen is hardly working. Somehow, my library survived the deletion and downloads which I suppose is a small positive.

Given that Apple no longer supports XP or Vista, do you think it would be worth going to a Genius bar at this point? I really want to save this iPod, if I can. There's some things on there that are important to me and I used it everyday.

An unknown error occurred (0xE8000084), Windows Vista and iTouch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.