Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up an Apple network

Hey all

I want to extend my network for the whole house. At the moment my DSL modem (Technicolor TG589 v3) is used to connect to the internet, DHCP server and WIFI. The time capsule is connected to it and extends the wifi via a new created network with the same name. the onlu problem is that if I do a guest network, no ip is given to the guest network clients via the time capsule.

I got hold of a 4th and 5th generation airport extremes. Yesterday I tried to disable the DHCP and WIFI from the DSL modem and use the time capsule as the main router and extend the Ethernet and WIFI network via the Airport Extremes. Everything was going well, but then the network started playing uo and even the ethernet was down.

Can anyone suggest how to use the DSL modem just to connect to the internet and use the Airports for the internal ethernet and wifi network. Should I use one of the airport extremes as the main router? or the time capsule performs the same?

Hopefully I can get this sorted

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 4:20 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2016 4:40 AM in response to xrodney

The time capsule is connected to it and extends the wifi via a new created network with the same name

change the name, nothing is extended, it is just a second different WiFi network.

The "new" airports are "extreme" or "express"? Does not matter much for the settings.

set the "extremes" up to extend the WiFi network of the Time capsule, each extending the Time Capsule: put them about halfway (in signal strength) to the part of the house that they should serve. See it as a wheel where each of the spokes connect to the center.

Apr 27, 2016 5:09 AM in response to xrodney

You can probably turn off the WiFi in the modem, but if not it should not interfere with the wifi of the TimeCapsule. Are you sure that the modem and the TimeCapsule have different names for the WiFi !!

If it really interferes, and you can not turn off the modem WiFi, set the modem Wifi to a channel as far away as the channel in the TC: for example set the modem wifi channel to 1 and the TC wifi channel to 11or 12.

you do not change anything else in the modem, just plug the TC ethernet cable in the modem ethernet port, and in the TC ethernet "in" port. The modem is still distributing DHCP, and the TC is in Bridge mode (off).

Apr 27, 2016 2:22 PM in response to xrodney

The time capsule is connected to it and extends the wifi via a new created network with the same name. the onlu problem is that if I do a guest network, no ip is given to the guest network clients via the time capsule.

The guest network feature will not operate correctly when the Time Capsule is configured in Bridge Mode, as it is is now.....and it must be with another router "upstream" on the network.

I am trying to eliminate the DSL modem as a wifi, router and DHCP server

It may or may not be possible to configure the Technicolor modem/router to operate only as a simple modem. Best to ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) whether this is possible, and if so how to perform this operation.

IF....the Technicolor device can be set up to operate only as a simple modem......THEN.....the Guest Network feature of the Time Capsule can be configured to operate correctly by changing the Router Mode setting from Bridge Mode to DHCP and NAT.

The Time Capsule does not have a modem on board, so if the Technicolor device cannot be configured to act as a simple modem, then you will need to look at removing the Technicolor device and using a separate simple modem with the Time Capsule.

Setting up an Apple network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.