Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone says no service instead of 3G

Hello,

I have a concerning problem. Instead of using Crickets 3G networks, like my iPhone 4, it would rather just say no service in areas with only a 3G network. I cannot use EDGE, or GPRS either. Is this because my phone was unlocked at Verizon? Any help is appreciated. I ask because I don't want to swap my SIM into an older phone when i am in the sticks ETC.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2, Space Gray, Cricket Wireless

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:15 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2016 12:57 PM in response to TheMasterOfApple2334

Hello there, TheMasterOfApple2334.

It sounds like you're seeing "No Service" message when trying to connect your iPhone 5s to your cellular provider. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great information and troubleshooting pointers for just that issue:

If you can‘t connect to a cellular network or cellular data

If you see No Service or Searching

If you see No Service or Searching on your device, or can't connect to a cellular network or cellular data, follow these steps:

1. Check your coverage area to make sure that you're in an area with cellular network coverage.
    • If you can't connect to a cellular network on your iPhone, make sure that cellular data is on in Settings > Cellular*. On your iPad, go to Settings > Cellular Data.
    • If you're traveling internationally, make sure that your device is set up for data roaming. Go to Settings > Cellular > Data Roaming.
      User uploaded file
  2. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  3. Check for a Carrier Settings Update.
  4. Take out the SIM card and put it back in. If the SIM card is damaged, or doesn't fit in the SIM tray, contact your carrier.
  5. Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.
  6. If you have another device, see if you can connect your carrier's network with it in that location.
  7. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that your account is active and in good standing.
    • Make sure there are no outages in your area.
    • Check that your device isn't blocked from receiving cellular services and is set up with the right data plan.
  8. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS.

If you still can't connect to a cellular network, and have confirmed with your carrier that there isn't an issue with your account or network, try restoring your device.

If you can connect to 3G but not 4G LTE

Make sure that your device is compatible with LTE. Go to Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE. Identify your iPhoneand compare its model number with the list of supported LTE carriers for your country or location. Or identify your iPad and compare its model number with the list of supported LTE carriers for your country location. LTE options might vary depending on your carrier's network.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Apr 28, 2016 3:06 PM in response to pedro d

The reply would be helpful, if I had worded my problem better in the first. My problem, is that I can get LTE and 4G perfectly well But when I go into areas where there is a good 3G network but no 4G or LTE my phone says no service. if I put my SIM into an iPhone 4 then I can directly access the 3G network. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks.

iPhone says no service instead of 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.