Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nano won't play album in order during workout

I know I can shuffle songs on my Nano, but sometimes I like to listen to an album straight through, in order. I can't find any way to do that during a workout. The only music option for the workout is Shuffle Songs. I have a Shuffle, which ironically will play the album straight through, but is there a way to do this on my Nano?

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:19 AM

12 replies

Apr 27, 2016 7:41 AM in response to smw104

There's a shuffle setting on the iPod. If your iPod nano has a touch screen (not a click-wheel), the shuffle setting is on the Now Playing screen (tap the screen). The symbol on the shuffle setting button looks like two arrows crossing. Tap it to switch between playing songs in list order and random order. Here's the user guide for the current 7th gen iPod nano (see page 19 where is says Shuffle Songs).

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1624/en_US/iPod_nano_2015_user_gui de.pdf

If your iPod nano is an older model with a click-wheel, the shuffle setting is on the iPod's onboard Settings screen.

Apr 27, 2016 8:51 AM in response to smw104

I think you are being distracted by the command to shuffle the list (it makes you look for the not shuffle command). That shuffle command (on every list) is a recent addition. On older iPods (when they had a monochrome display and a click-wheel), there was no shuffle command, except on the main screen (to shuffle all songs). Shuffle was just a setting, not a command. The iPod was set to either shuffle songs or play songs in order. And when you played any song list, songs were played in list order or in random order, based on the current shuffle setting.

So, what you are doing is simply playing your selected song list. It plays in list order or in random order, based on the current shuffle setting. The command to shuffle is irrelevant. Pretend it's not there.

That shuffle command is there as a convenience. When you use it, it always shuffles the list, even if the iPod is set to not shuffle. The shuffle command lets you shuffle the list (as an exception) while keeping the iPod set to (normally) play play your lists in order.

Apr 27, 2016 9:57 AM in response to smw104

My iPod nano is 5th gen (with a click-wheel), the interface is somewhat different. In my case, I select Music -> Albums to show a list of albums on the iPod. I select the album without going into the album. Then Play. If shuffle is set to OFF, the album plays in list order, starting with the first song.

OR, I go into the album and start playing the first song on the album song list. If shuffle is set to OFF, the remaining songs on the album play in list order.

I can do the same things with playlists or artist song lists (or any song lists). I think you can do equivalent actions on your touch-screen nano.

Apr 27, 2016 10:24 AM in response to smw104

Oh, I see... You need to select a song list to use with the workout features. I was describing now to play a song list normally.

I do use my iPod nano to track my runs using the Nike+ kit. (On your iPod nano, the Nike+ features are built-in.) In my case, I normally select a playlist to use for the run, because I have playlists with songs based on specific BPM (beats per minute), which helps me with my "cadence." However, I can start playing the iPod normally from any list, such as an album. After the iPod is already playing songs, I go into the Nike+ features to begin my workout. On the screen to select what to play during the workout, one of the choices is Now Playing. If I select that option, the iPod keeps playing what it's already playing as I start my run. If your nano works similarly, you should be able to start playing (normally) from your selected album, and select to use Now Playing with your exercise.

Apr 27, 2016 10:44 AM in response to smw104

Do you have some super-secret next gen iPod nano with GPS features? 🙂 My older iPod nano and your iPod nano can track running distance, but it uses motion-based tracking. Even the spiffy Apple Watch uses motion-based tracking, not GPS. I would need to carry an iPhone (with a cellular connection and wireless data service) to use GPS-based tracking (or get one of those specialty fitness watches with built-in GPS).

Having said that, I use the Nike+ motion sensor that goes on my right shoe. It connects and sends data to my iPod nano over Bluetooth. It measures movement of my foot (instead of just counting steps), so after several calibrations, I find it to be very accurate. No GPS needed - Keep it simple. 🙂

Nano won't play album in order during workout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.