Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 9.1 can't post on forums

Hello,

when I try to post on some forums I get messages like "Something went wrong please try later"

When I use a different browser ( Chrome ) it works OK.

This doesn't happen on all forums but it's irritating when it goes wrong as I want to use Safari as my sole browser.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

thank you

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 10:51 AM

Go step by step and test.

1. Click  in the menu bar and choose “Force Quit”.

Select Safari and click “Force Quit at the bottom of the Force Quit window.

Hold the Shift key down and launch Safari.

2. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box beside "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

3. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

4. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 10:51 AM in response to Bobbo123

Go step by step and test.

1. Click  in the menu bar and choose “Force Quit”.

Select Safari and click “Force Quit at the bottom of the Force Quit window.

Hold the Shift key down and launch Safari.

2. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box beside "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

3. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

4. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

Apr 27, 2016 7:05 PM in response to Bobbo123

You may have a Safari extension or third party plug-in installed that's causing a conflict. It's easy to troubleshoot.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. If there are any extensions installed, uninstall one at a time then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Apr 28, 2016 6:36 AM in response to Bobbo123

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Apr 28, 2016 7:38 AM in response to Eric Root

Dear all,

thanks very much for your help and replies.

For some reason it is now working. No doubt the removal of all the cookies had something to do with it, I wish I could be more specific about why this happened like this. But it's almost a black art. But I did also turn of the ad-blocker extensions. Who knows.

cheers again

safari 9.1 can't post on forums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.