Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing - Hard Drive

I currently have itunes installed on my laptop - which i no longer use as my primary device. I tend to use my ipad as the laptop is bulky & not really fit for purpose. I also have an external hard drive which has a back up of my itunes library. I know that i can access my library by home sharing from the laptop via my ipad but this means that the laptop needs to be on, which isn't the perfect solution.

What i want to know is, if i connect my external hard drive to the network & have this on permanently can i "switch on" home sharing & access my library stored on my hard drive via my ipad?

I also have Apple TV if this is an option to help with the connections.

iPad Air, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:48 AM

Unfortunately No. Without the laptop that is running iTunes, where would you switch on Home Sharing?

The iPad cannot directly access a networked drive, and it cannot be the source of Home Sharing.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Home Sharing lets you share and stream content from your computer’s iTunes library to other computers, iOS devices, and Apple TVs.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 6:48 AM in response to gemmyjam

Unfortunately No. Without the laptop that is running iTunes, where would you switch on Home Sharing?

The iPad cannot directly access a networked drive, and it cannot be the source of Home Sharing.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Home Sharing lets you share and stream content from your computer’s iTunes library to other computers, iOS devices, and Apple TVs.

Apr 27, 2016 8:14 AM in response to gemmyjam

Well, there's always the online option.

You can subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music, and have iTunes upload your music to Apple's cloud servers, from which you can play it on any device as long as you have an internet connection and are paying for the subscription.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

http://www.apple.com/music/

iCloud Music Library: Understanding differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match - Apple Support

Home Sharing - Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.