Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading folders to iCloud from PC

Hello,

I'm new to iCloud. I want to upload all my old picture files from a portable hard drive. In Windows Explorer, I dragged the folders to the iCloud directory and dropped them in. I than checked my iCloud account and they were starting to populate in the iCloud Drive as expected. Soon, however, my PC got angry because it was storing a copy of all the photos locally on the C drive. I deleted the files from iCloud directory on the C drive and it subsequently deleted the folders/files on the iCloud Drive.

My goal is to get all my pictures off the old portable hard drive and onto the iCloud Drive. What am I doing wrong?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Windows 7, 1TB Portable Hard drive

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 9:11 AM

iCloud is primarily oriented towards syncing data among devices rather than as a backup or cloud-only storage solution. As you have found, if iCloud Drive is on, then any changes, additions, or deletions are automatically synced. One workaround (not my recommendation) would be to turn off iCloud Drive on your PC (open iCloud For Windows and uncheck iCloud Drive) and manually upload the photos/files to the iCloud Drive app at https://www.icloud.com/ using your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 9:11 AM in response to CharltonHeston

iCloud is primarily oriented towards syncing data among devices rather than as a backup or cloud-only storage solution. As you have found, if iCloud Drive is on, then any changes, additions, or deletions are automatically synced. One workaround (not my recommendation) would be to turn off iCloud Drive on your PC (open iCloud For Windows and uncheck iCloud Drive) and manually upload the photos/files to the iCloud Drive app at https://www.icloud.com/ using your browser (e.g., Internet Explorer).

Uploading folders to iCloud from PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.