Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to convert a csv file (names, addresses, phone, email, etc) into a Directory that can be edited in Pages. Do I need an interface app or program?

Formatting csv data

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 2:13 PM

You can open a CSV directly in Numbers, where you can copy/paste that content into Pages directly (as a table), or into the first cell of a blank Pages table, which will dynamically expand to accept the fields in the Numbers spreadsheet.

Pages is not designed to open CSV files, and automatically parse them into a table. You would have to manually change each ',' with a keyboard tab, and then copy paste that result into a blank Pages table.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 2:13 PM in response to LarryBrownEsq

You can open a CSV directly in Numbers, where you can copy/paste that content into Pages directly (as a table), or into the first cell of a blank Pages table, which will dynamically expand to accept the fields in the Numbers spreadsheet.

Pages is not designed to open CSV files, and automatically parse them into a table. You would have to manually change each ',' with a keyboard tab, and then copy paste that result into a blank Pages table.

Apr 27, 2016 5:04 PM in response to LarryBrownEsq

You may find it convenient to use this CSV to Tabs on Clipboard Automator Service (Dropbox download) to convert a file into a form that can be pasted into Numbers or Pages.

To install: Just double-click the downloaded .workflow package and if necessary give permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

To use: In Finder (i.e. not in Numbers or Pages) select your csv file and option-click it. In the contextual menu that appears choose Services > CSV to Tabs on Clipboard. Answer the prompts, click once in a cell in Numbers or a Pages table, and type command-v or choose Edit > Paste and Match Style.

SG

I want to convert a csv file (names, addresses, phone, email, etc) into a Directory that can be edited in Pages. Do I need an interface app or program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.