Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my ipad lose wifi connection when i move away from my centurylink wireless modem

why does my ipad lose wifi connection when i move away from my centurylink wireless modem

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 7:40 AM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2016 10:01 AM in response to stephenfrombrooklyn park

WiFi connections lose their strength as the distance from the router increases and if there are certain interfering objects as a general rule

Try these steps please

Per the following actions and after each one test to see if the problem is resolved - if so then you can omit the following steps - I have tried to list them in order of increasing effort at least on a Mac and / or an iDevice

1. Check to see if the problem is isolated to one device and if other devices connect normally -
  2. If the answer to 1 is "yes" - try to connect the affected device in another location if possible - café or university
  3. Perform a forced restart - this does not delete or purge any data and troubleshoots many issues - here is how - Hold down the Off/On and Home buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow normal boot up.
  4. Settings - WiFi - <network name> - Click on forget the network - do a forced restart as per 3 and then add the network again
  5. If at home - reboot the router by unplugging for 60 seconds from the AC (mains) and then plug it back in - obviously this step cannot be done in a public place as a café/airport or university. While you are at it - make sure your router is operating on the latest firmware (check manufacturer site)
  6. Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings - remember to have WiFi passwords handy since this erases stored WiFi passwords
  7. If this is a net new device especially in your home - make sure the router is giving enough DNS numbers to accommodate everything that needs / wants a connection - stuff like the printer, Chromecast get overlooked - ask for details about this if not sure
  8. Backup the device to iTunes - Restore as NEW (not from backup) - see if problem resolves - if yes - restore backup
  9. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Apr 27, 2016 11:08 AM in response to stephenfrombrooklyn park

Below are suggestions for Wi-Fi issues. Try #1 and #2 first.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

Apr 27, 2016 1:04 PM in response to stephenfrombrooklyn park

I second what Brian had to say. ISP wireless modems/routers are usually not very good. Please see Step #3 in my post above and try those options. If it turns out to be the router I also endorse the Netgear Brian suggested as well as the TP-Link Archer C9. I have disabled the wireless in my AT&T modem/router combo (a gateway) and connected the TP-Link as an access point only downstream of the AT&T. My house was pre-wired with Ethernet so I was able to place the AP in a more central location than the ISP feed. I now get solid signals throughout.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.