Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone failed to load book because the requested resource is missing

I purchased a book in ePub format and have copied iBooks ( iPhone6s - iOS9.3.1) but opening get the message "failed to load book Because the requested resource is missing", but the same ePub file in a iPhone5C (iOS 9.3.1) if displayed correctly, also in the computer reads correctly with any reader ePubs.

I have other ePub files in my iPhone 6s and can be read correctly .

User uploaded file

Someone can help me to solve the problem (I restart the phone with power button + home, I've deleted and re-downloaded the file and copy to iBooks)

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1, iBooks

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 8:00 AM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Cyberespia

Hi there Cyberespia,

It sounds like you are trying to open an iBook but it won't load because there is some resource that it cannot access in the book. That kind of sounds to me like the book my be corrupted and simply need to be re downloaded. To delete the book:

Remove books. Tap Select, select some books, tap Delete, then choose an option.

Then quit iBooks:

Force an app to close in iOS

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

Then restart your phone, and try opening the book again, which will download it and test it out again.

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

May 2, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Cyberespia

Thank you for the update! There may be a deeper issue with the iOS iBooks software that may require it to be reinstalled. I would next, if you wish to keep troubleshooting this, backup your device to iTunes, then restore it as new and verify that it works and downloads your boos without issue.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups
If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Sep 7, 2016 9:55 AM in response to sterling r

I was getting the same issue on both my iPad Air2 and large Pro. The ePub book opens and was readable in iBooks on a Mac but would not open in either of my iPads. Now this is a book with a lot of illustrations (Jules Verne's The Steam House), which I wondered if was the issue. This is the first instance I have had with iBooks on an iPad, failing to open a book, over a number of years. However, after reformatting the ePub through Calibre book formatting app on my Mac, just to make sure there were no formatting issues and where it also updates any older ePub codec to the latest, now the same book opens with no problems on my iPads.

iPhone failed to load book because the requested resource is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.