Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth only works after restart

I got my new iMac a few months ago and since then I've had this annoying issue.
My bluetooth mouse and keyboard only works after a restart, actually the whole bluetooth only works after restart.

When I start up my computer and login with a second mouse and keyboard plugged in the bluetooth is "not found" and there's no into in the system specs either under bluetooth. But I googled and tried a different things and did the SMC reset and after restarting the bluetooth is up and running after logging in..

Do I really need to restart my computer everytime I want to use it??

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 8:44 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2016 3:29 AM in response to anna_roed

Hi Anna,

Do you have a 27" imac?

I bought a new one and have spent a total of over 20 hours on the phone to apple care. After a month I return two different imacs, and am now on the third.

After giving me the wrong suggestions for a month, apple care now, this is right, now, not a month ago, tell me they have discovered a 'known issue' whereby new 27" imacs with certain configurations lose their bluetooth connectivity if an OS update is made to el capitan ! I can't think of any other product you would have such a problem with even though you bought it brand new.

May 1, 2016 7:49 AM in response to anna_roed

Hi Anna

Just had exactly the same problem with a brand new iMac straight out the box. No bluetooth from cold start, wasn't showing up in system profiler or system prefs, but restart and it appears.

This worked for me and I've not had issues since, touch wood. You need to reset your NVRAM. Hold down Command, option, P and R and start the machine up, keep hold of them until you hear it chime twice. Let go and it will chime again and should boot fine with bluetooth fixed.

hope this works for you.

Bluetooth only works after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.