Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest Magic Mouse 2 not compatible w/ Mavericks 10.95 - and that stinks

This is not so much a question as an expression of dumbfounded disappointment. My old Magic Mouse went kablooey and so I got a new one. Unfortunately when I paired it with my 2012 MacPro running Mavericks 10.95 (sorry Apple, you have not equalled Mavericks' speed and performance with Yosemite and El Capitan) I found out that the touch features like scrolling and swiping did not work.

After an hour of reading the tiny pamphlet that comes with the mouse, zapping PRAM, resetting SMC and generally asking myself ***? I looked at the Magic Mouse box and found the answer in 3 point gray on white type: Requires OS 10.11 or higher. All right. Mea culpa, caveat emptor, yadda yadda. I should have read through the entire Magic Mouse page on Apple Store website but I already owned the product so didn't figure there was much new to factor in.

Even so, it seems odd to me that a completely necessary hardware peripheral won't function with an OS from a couple years ago.

There are loyal customers (30 years of computing and I've never used or owned a PC) who use your products in a professional capacity (I'm a commercial creative director) and, for reasons that go far beyond taste, prefer your earlier, faster OS. Apple wants to move the herd along for a lot of understandable reasons. I do advertising. I get it. Offering new features and "improvements" that users who opt not to update miss out on makes perfect sense. But preventing them from owning a functional Apple mouse is going too far. It's going from enticing to strong arming and it stinks.

In light of Apple's strategy it seems pretty damned ironic that the same company that once derided the PC world as authoritarian group thinkers straight out of Orwell is stooping to this level to get its users to conform to its version of the future. What the **** happened to "Think Different"?

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 9:28 AM

Fair question to ask, I suppose and I can only offer an opinion; as you know, we here are simply volunteer helpers.

The question is ... at what point does a company change its products. As I see it, over the years the various OSs have developed at an enormous rate, such as may not have been anticipated even four years ago. So the Magic Mouse 1 was fine for the time but did not have the capacity to be adapted to meet today's needs. So what does Apple do? It has to make a new mouse that will meet today's needs and anticipate the needs for some time in the future.

You can still buy the old MM1 though you may have to go hunting. And of course you can take the old one back if it was bought less than 14 days ago in most countries and 28 days ago in the UK and most of Europe, I believe.

I hope you get over your troubles.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 9:28 AM in response to BorrachoPix

Fair question to ask, I suppose and I can only offer an opinion; as you know, we here are simply volunteer helpers.

The question is ... at what point does a company change its products. As I see it, over the years the various OSs have developed at an enormous rate, such as may not have been anticipated even four years ago. So the Magic Mouse 1 was fine for the time but did not have the capacity to be adapted to meet today's needs. So what does Apple do? It has to make a new mouse that will meet today's needs and anticipate the needs for some time in the future.

You can still buy the old MM1 though you may have to go hunting. And of course you can take the old one back if it was bought less than 14 days ago in most countries and 28 days ago in the UK and most of Europe, I believe.

I hope you get over your troubles.

Latest Magic Mouse 2 not compatible w/ Mavericks 10.95 - and that stinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.