Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating a numbered or bulleted list

Anyone with any tips on the creation of a numbered list with Jive?

Transferring from OneNote or Notes causes duplication and found an old thread here

How do I create a numbered or bulleted list?By Dale Gillard, November 15, 2005

I wondered if, with the change in the structure - whether those tags are still relevant

Thank you for any responses

--MS

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 2:42 PM

The tools in the toolbar do the trick for me...

Keep in mind that the Rich Text Editor is not a Jive product, but rather an integration of the 3rd party widget > https://www.TinyMCE.com/

I have found that copy/paste from ANY external source to TinyMCE requires some "mickeying with" to get it right...

• copying a GoogleTranslation and pasting does not bring <p>s(paragraphs) but rather <br>s (line breaks) no matter what you have done with your typing or it looks like in the translation windows
  • TextEdit will not bring Colors or live URLs
  • Windows NOTEPAD and TextEdit "plain text" has generally been a way of stripping away invisible stuff <p> Not so hot results with NotePad+ but could be worse

LB

LB
LB

COPY > paste into NotePad+ > Copy again > PASTE

LB

LB

LB

===

<li>Windows NOTEPAD and TextEdit "plain text" has generally been a way of stripping away invisible stuff <strong>&lt;p&gt;</strong></li>

</ul>

<p>LB</p>

<p>LB<br />LB</p>

<p>COPY &gt; paste into NotePad+ &gt; Copy again &gt; PASTE</p>

<p>LB</p>

<p></p>

<p>LB</p>

<p>LB</p>

<p>This req

===

This requires me to - place the text cursor before each line, delete > RETURN to put <p>s into TinyMCE text = A Royal Pain

========

Let's test a tad:

• aaa
  • bbb
  • ccc

1. aaa
  2. bbb
  3. ccc

Switching to HTML tool fro the toolbar... you get

<p></p>

<p>Let's test a tad:</p>

<ul>

<li>aaa</li>

<li>bbb</li>

<li>ccc</li>

</ul>

<p></p>

<ol>

<li>aaa</li>

<li>bbb</li>

<li>ccc</li>

</ol>

<p></p>

<p>Switching to HTML tool fro the toolbar</p></body>

So, <ul> ... </ul> is the bullet list container - and <ol> ... </ol> is the numbered list container

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 2:42 PM in response to ManSinha

The tools in the toolbar do the trick for me...

Keep in mind that the Rich Text Editor is not a Jive product, but rather an integration of the 3rd party widget > https://www.TinyMCE.com/

I have found that copy/paste from ANY external source to TinyMCE requires some "mickeying with" to get it right...

• copying a GoogleTranslation and pasting does not bring <p>s(paragraphs) but rather <br>s (line breaks) no matter what you have done with your typing or it looks like in the translation windows
  • TextEdit will not bring Colors or live URLs
  • Windows NOTEPAD and TextEdit "plain text" has generally been a way of stripping away invisible stuff <p> Not so hot results with NotePad+ but could be worse

LB

LB
LB

COPY > paste into NotePad+ > Copy again > PASTE

LB

LB

LB

===

<li>Windows NOTEPAD and TextEdit "plain text" has generally been a way of stripping away invisible stuff <strong>&lt;p&gt;</strong></li>

</ul>

<p>LB</p>

<p>LB<br />LB</p>

<p>COPY &gt; paste into NotePad+ &gt; Copy again &gt; PASTE</p>

<p>LB</p>

<p></p>

<p>LB</p>

<p>LB</p>

<p>This req

===

This requires me to - place the text cursor before each line, delete > RETURN to put <p>s into TinyMCE text = A Royal Pain

========

Let's test a tad:

• aaa
  • bbb
  • ccc

1. aaa
  2. bbb
  3. ccc

Switching to HTML tool fro the toolbar... you get

<p></p>

<p>Let's test a tad:</p>

<ul>

<li>aaa</li>

<li>bbb</li>

<li>ccc</li>

</ul>

<p></p>

<ol>

<li>aaa</li>

<li>bbb</li>

<li>ccc</li>

</ol>

<p></p>

<p>Switching to HTML tool fro the toolbar</p></body>

So, <ul> ... </ul> is the bullet list container - and <ol> ... </ol> is the numbered list container

Apr 27, 2016 2:42 PM in response to ManSinha

How do I create a numbered or bulleted list?By Dale Gillard, November 15, 2005

That came from the days when Apple was using different forum software.

I tend to avoid Jive's bulleted and numbered list. Jive gets confused rapidly when editing the lists and I hate that icon that hides part of the list. Hence, I fake it by typing

1) ...

2) ...

3) ...

etc.

and use -- for bulleted lists.

I will say Jive's doing a little better with lists.

Apr 27, 2016 1:47 PM in response to ManSinha

ManSinha wrote:

I wondered if, with the change in the structure - whether those tags are still relevant

No. I suspect that post comes from a time before two major platform changes, away from Jive and back to it. When I joined in 2007 there was something similar to BBCode in use for formatting posts. There are perfectly serviceable controls in the tool bars of both versions of the editor here. Or you can type in valid HTML in the HTML editor.

Unordered list:

• Item
  • Item
  • Item

Ordered list:

1. Item
  2. Item
  3. Item

Some time ago the CSS for the site would mess up if you had an ordered list with more than 9 items. The leading digit would be obscured due to a negative offset. That issue has been fixed.

tt2

creating a numbered or bulleted list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.