Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote won't swipe forward

Recently my remote won't allow me to swipe through (fast forward) a TV show (Netflix, HBO). It only allows me to click multiple times for a 10 second fast forward, making it extremely frustrating to skip HBO commercials or long intros (GOT).

ONe other post referenced a click, hold and release but that doesn't work and not sure why that was even suggested. I should be able to pick up my remote, swipe and fast forward to where I need to be on my tv show or movie.

Im using the newest Apple TV with the new remote.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 9:17 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2016 10:40 AM in response to AEOdgaa

Right, you have AppleTV 4, though your sig says AppleTV 2.

I believe the latest tvOS 9.2 changed the way that works, because users had trouble with accidental activation. There are other threads on this change.

However, if you click on the pad, you see the progress bar, and you can drag the current time to any position then click again to resume. If the video's already downloaded, you'll see the thumbnail as you drag, otherwise not. So, if you're skipping a 3 minute commercial, just drag the time forward by 3 minutes. Myself, I just count my way through the 10 second jumps.

Apr 29, 2016 3:17 PM in response to Vinceassociate

"Link edited by host"

Originally this link pointed to the appropriate section of the ATV 4 online help.

Now when I click on it, it returns me to this page. That doesn't seem right. The free-floating # without an anchor name doesn't seem correct. After some testing, I suggest that you need to remove the slash after the number sign, so it joins up with the next string.

Cheers

Remote won't swipe forward

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.