Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Back up to EHD

I'm trying to back up my iPhoto Library to an EHD. I've drug the icon for the library to the EHD, and it says "Preparing to copy." But it never moves beyond that. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 10:18 AM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2016 11:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

It started... was just taking its time. Says it will take 17 hours to back up.

So... in the future, if I just drag the icon to the same drive, will it overwrite? Or will it have to back up the entire thing again?

Also... I have Time Capsule and (I think) it backs up everything on my computer. So I should have everything on the laptop, everything on an EHD and everything on TC, though I don't trust TC at all (its on an hourly backup). I'll leave the EHD at work, and the laptop is always with me, and of course, the TC is at home. Still need more?

Is Carbon copy a monthly expense?

Apr 27, 2016 10:50 PM in response to LILIKINS

So... in the future, if I just drag the icon to the same drive, will it overwrite? Or will it have to back up the entire thing again?

That's the same thing. Yes, if you drag and drop it will do the entire thing each time. Hence most folks use an app that will do incremental back ups. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync, Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner - but there are many others. Search on MacUpdate or the App Store. None of these are monthly expenses, they're once-off purchases.

Apr 28, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

Got it... I thought Carbon Copy was an off site remote backup incase your house burned down, etc. So you'd pay storage, etc.

Can you see how much stuff is on the drive with Carbon Copy? I notice I obviously have to open iPhoto to see how many photos are on the EHD, and the paranoid person in me thinks maybe its just referencing the library on my laptop (when I want to make doubly sure its on my EHD).

Thanks so much for the help!

Apr 28, 2016 12:17 PM in response to LILIKINS

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You can see how much is on the drive with the Finder.

the paranoid person in me thinks maybe its just referencing the library on my laptop (when I want to make doubly sure its on my EHD).

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and choose the one on the EHD.

iPhoto Back up to EHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.