Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win 8.1 cannot connect to El Capitan OS X Server share

I recently set up a new El Capitan mac mini server with Pegasus RAID, as a file server. Mainly other macs connect, but a few Win 7 and Win 8 computers as well. The Win 7 have no trouble, but the Win 8 computers cannot connect to the share. Error is:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: An extended error has occurred.

NOT very intuitive, that's for sure.

I tried on the server to add specific users with read/write access, makes no difference.

At this point do not know if problem is on the mac server or on the Win 8 computers!! ALL help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Server is installed

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 10:33 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2016 4:23 AM in response to macmadden

This thread is related to Windows 10, but I think, that might be worth a try in Windows 8/8.1, as well:

Windows 10 can't connect to OS X server 10.10.3

short version of what I wrote in this thread:

I had the same problem here and I found out, that it might have to do with the workgroup or Windows domain. It seems, that you must enter this in Windows 10 together with the username. Since Windows 10 in my case instead of username (this worked fine in Windows 7) I had to use workgroup\username as username for Windows 10 clients. Then it worked immediately.

Please try this:

all "\" are backslashes

Syntax of server addresses in Windows:

\\Windows server-name or IP address\sharepoint

Syntax of Login name in Windows 10:

workgroup\username

workgroup = Windows workgroup which you configured for your network

default value in OS X = workgroup

Please note, that the login name does not start with backslashes.

I can only say this for networks that don't use an Active Directory - if you use an Active Directory domain in your network, then the scheme of the username might be different.

I just tested this on a Windows 10 machine which was freshly upgraded from Windows 7 a few days ago.

I did not make any changes in the Windows 10 registry.

Win 8.1 cannot connect to El Capitan OS X Server share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.