Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port forwarding doesn't give IPv4 option

I have the latest generation 3TB Tim Capsule. Using Airport Utility on my MacBook running El Capitan, if I add a port to forward the dialog that comes up shows "IPv6 Firewall Entry" and is grayed out. I'm trying to port forward port 3389 for a Windows PC that isn't using IPv6, but Airport utility won't let me changed it to IPv4 Firewall Entry instead of IPv6.

Is Apple requiring IPv6 now, or am I having some other issue? I may just enable IPv6 on the Windows PC if I have to, but I wanted to make sure I'm not crazy.

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 12:06 PM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2016 12:27 PM in response to rudefyet

Sorry, cannot duplicate what you are reporting

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule picture

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Click the + button under the Port Settings box to set up a new rule

User uploaded file

A drop down box allows a choice of either IPv4 or IPv6 entries

User uploaded file

Likewise, the setup on the iPhone or iPad version of AirPort Utility has the same options, with a bit different type of display.

Apr 27, 2016 2:08 PM in response to rudefyet

I see similar behavior when I access it from Windows using AirPort Utility 5.6.1.

The following documentation says there is a port mapping tab under advanced.

AirPort - Port Mapping Basics using AirPort Utility v5.x

I have an IPv6 firewall tab, but no port mapping tab. When I click to add an exception I see an identical dialog to the one on Mac, except there is no drop down box at all.

User uploaded file

Also, rebooting the Time Capsule did not resolve.

Port forwarding doesn't give IPv4 option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.