Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iTunes add music from my computer to the library?

Hello, I am having a problem with iTunes adding music to my library from my computer. I am running the latest version of iTunes on my Windows 7 desktop and everything is working fine except for the add file/folder to library function. I have a folder with midi music files on my desktop that I want to sync to an old iPhone in order to play on my player piano. Whenever I try to add the folder or individual songs from the folder to my library the action of importing them just abruptly quits/fails to finish before anything happens. I used to be able to add songs from my computer without any problems but now it appears that iTunes isn't allowing that to happen. Is this because I cannot add midi music files to my library, or because there is something wrong with my version of iTunes that's not allowing it to add the music? Or this there a compatibility issue that I am unaware of? Does anyone know how I can add the music to my old iPhone (1st gen iPhone 5) in a different way if this is not possible or can point me in the direction of someone who would? Would I have to jailbreak it to make it happen? (I don't know anything about that I've only heard of people doing it before). Thank you so much for your time!

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:11 PM

Starfish Gurl,

To the best of my knowledge, newer releases of iTunes cannot play MIDI files. Older versions of iTunes relied on QuickTime to handle the MIDIs, but QuickTime is no longer part of iTunes.

If you want to try one more thing, you can drag a MIDI file in to your Automatically Add to iTunes folder to see what happens. On my machine, it ends up in the Not Added folder, and does not appear in the library.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 6:11 PM in response to starfishgurl1984

Starfish Gurl,

To the best of my knowledge, newer releases of iTunes cannot play MIDI files. Older versions of iTunes relied on QuickTime to handle the MIDIs, but QuickTime is no longer part of iTunes.

If you want to try one more thing, you can drag a MIDI file in to your Automatically Add to iTunes folder to see what happens. On my machine, it ends up in the Not Added folder, and does not appear in the library.

Apr 27, 2016 7:00 PM in response to ed2345

I Just realized that I might have an old version of iTunes on an old computer that I might be able to use as long as they are able to sync to the phone. I'll have to play with it. Otherwise I'll just have to use the old computer to connect to my player piano via Winamp and port the files over from my new one. I hate the incompatibility between Apple and Windows products and certain formats, in this day and age it shouldn't be that difficult to do something so relatively simple... Thanks for the suggestion though!

Apr 28, 2016 7:28 PM in response to starfishgurl1984

starfishgurl1984 wrote:

Actually your suggestion about a converter paid off, apparently the person who owns/operates the website for the player piano that I have made a specific converter that converts midi files to an MP3 format that is Apple compatible! I had no idea they made that until you suggested it and I looked, thank you so much!!!

Starfish Gurl,

Excellent! Enjoy the music.

Ed

Why won't iTunes add music from my computer to the library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.