Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create multiple copies of the same song in itunes - all with different stop times?

Hello all, I would like to have several copies of the same song but with different play lengths (ie 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minutes, etc). I know how to select a song in itunes then change the stop time in "get info.", but itunes simply applies that change across all copies of the song.

The reason I need several copies of different play lengths is because I'm syncing them to my ipad and the ipad doesn't allow the user to change the track stop time.

Any help is appreciated!

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 4:20 PM

Drag to song to the Desktop, rename it slightly, then drag it back into iTunes. Repeat as many times as you need.

7 replies

Apr 27, 2016 5:42 PM in response to bubblemama

bubblemama wrote:

Hello all, I would like to have several copies of the same song but with different play lengths (ie 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minutes, etc). I know how to select a song in itunes then change the stop time in "get info.", but itunes simply applies that change across all copies of the song.

Not true. It only affects the one copy that you edited. However, the change will also affect any playlist in which that track appears (which may be what you meant).

Just to clarify Rysz's suggestion, you need to make a copy of the file and rename it, and add the copy into iTunes. iTunes will treat it as a different track and therefore allow you to set different Start/Stop times.

May 1, 2016 9:20 AM in response to ed2345

I can't seem to get this to work for me.

Here's what I did:

In my itunes library, I right click on song then select "copy".

Go to my desktop, right click and select "paste item".

Then right click on copy of song on the desktop and select "get info."

Go into info and change title of song.

Then drag the copy on the desktop into itunes but nothing happens. The renamed song does not appear in the library.

If I select "add to library" from the itunes menu and select that copy from the desktop, I get the same result, nothing. Song does not appear in the library.

May 1, 2016 10:24 AM in response to bubblemama

That method will make a lossy conversion of the original.

A better method is to right click on the song you want to duplicate and use Show in Finder, select the item and use CMD-C to copy it, then browse to Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes and press CMD-V to create an additional copy. Once the first copy has been absorbed into the library you can repeat for as many times as is necessary.

tt2

Create multiple copies of the same song in itunes - all with different stop times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.