Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't iTunes12.3.3.17 see newly added pdfs in iBooks?

Using El Capitan 10.11.4 on a 17,1 iMac, cabled to an iPad Air.

I want to sync newly created pdfs in iBooks to the iPad Air using iTunes12, but iTunes12 refuses to see the newly created pdfs. iTunes12 can see old pdf's, but not newly created pdf's made within the last week. I have deleted the pdfs from iBooks and re-added to the iBooks library. I have deleted the .xml iTunes file and restarted iTunes12. I have deleted all plist files from iTunes, and iBooks, then restarted the iMac.

iTunes12 cannot sync a pdf to my iPad Air unless it sees the pdf in iBooks. Why has iTunes begun to refuse to see new pdfs I add to iBooks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMac 14,2 / 3.5GHz Intel Quad Core

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 5:27 PM

11 replies

Apr 30, 2016 6:49 PM in response to blackxacto

Well, I have received a temporary reprieve. Don't know if the problem has cleared up, or just temporarily resolved.

After moving the newly created pdfs into several different newly created and old COLLECTIONS within my iBooks App, plus starting and restarting iBooks, trashing iBooks and iTunes PLIST files, and rebooting the computer. Suddenly iBooks shook itself off and revealed its new pdf contents to iTunes12. Now I can sync newly created pdfs w iTunes12 as it can see the newly created pdfs in iTunes12.

Or at least for now. It may stop working. Will update if it does.

May 1, 2016 12:20 PM in response to blackxacto

The next afternoon, I created a new pdf, added it to iBooks library.

Opened iTunes12 to sync the new pdf to my iPad Air.

iTunes12 refuses to see anything newly created.

iTunes12 refuses to see pdfs created this week.

Syncing pdfs is no longer available in OS X, until Apple fixes iBooks1.5 and iTunes12

This is one heck of a way to force all of us to rent monthly cloud storage.

May 7, 2016 5:47 PM in response to blackxacto

The latest iTunes seems to have a problem syncing several things. When I try to sync photos to my new iPad Pro it only syncs one or two pictures from selected albums. At first thought it was just a bug with the new iPad. Today I downloaded some new music videos and tried to sync them to my iPod. iTunes refuses to do so. I even went in and manually selected everything (which included the new items in the list) and iTunes completely ignored them and did not transfer them. Very frustrating. It looks to me like iTunes has a major bug. I know many are having this problem. Sure hope they fix it soon.

May 12, 2016 2:38 PM in response to blackxacto

After two weeks, the Apple Senior tech contacted me, following her sending my situation to Apple Engineering. Apple Engineering tells me to stop using iTunes12 to sync between devices. Only use iCloud Drive. If one fills up the 5GB iCloud allocation with data, then RENT storage in the cloud. This is Apple Engineering's opinion.

I am going to have to TRUST that my data will be in the cloud, and that it will be there if I pay to rent space in the cloud. Is this a load of crap or what?

May 21, 2016 8:02 PM in response to Kenneth Hayden

Concerning not being able to sync newly purchased music videos to my older iPod, I finally decided to "restore" the iPod from iTunes. During this process I got the message that my new music videos couldn't be synced because of the higher quality of the video downloads. Clicked the more info and found that I had to go into iTunes preferences and deselect the SD video quality download box, then delete the new videos and re-download them from the cloud. That fixed that problem. Would have been a lot less frustrating if I had gotten the unable to sync message from the beginning . Had I not done the iPod restore I never would have seen it.

Why can't iTunes12.3.3.17 see newly added pdfs in iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.