Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1. I inserted a sim chip from ATT into my new iPad pro. does the info transfer to the internal sim chip 2. Will it then work if I remove the ATT Sim card 3. If the above is true I will then have an available sim slot. Can I insert a Sim card in Europ

1. I inserted a sim chip from ATT into my new iPad pro. does the info transfer to the internal sim chip 2. Will it then work if I remove the ATT Sim card 3. If the above is true I will then have an available sim slot. Can I insert a Sim card in Europe? How does the iPad know which of the chips to use?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 6:59 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2016 8:45 PM in response to curiousJeff

curiousJeff wrote:

1. I inserted a sim chip from ATT into my new iPad pro. does the info transfer to the internal sim chip 2. Will it then work if I remove the ATT Sim card 3. If the above is true I will then have an available sim slot. Can I insert a Sim card in Europe? How does the iPad know which of the chips to use?

What "internal SIM chip"?

The SIM is what gives you cellular connectivity. If you remove it, you lose connectivity. Put a GSM SIM in there when you're overseas, and you can access their network.

There is no "which chip do I use" because there is only one SIM that -can- be used, and it's whatever one is in the SIM slot. No SIM, no service.

Apr 28, 2016 1:03 PM in response to curiousJeff

OK, final answer: You can remove the sim card. There is a sim embedded on the mother board. The carrier needs to tx your old number to the embedded Sim. some carriers allow you to do it through your account. With my plan and ATT had to call them. They transferred my number to the embedded sim, i was able to remove the ATT sim card and now have an empty (free) tray which can be used with other carrier Sim Cards, such as when traveling abroad. You can have both the embedded and the removable Sim in the iPad at the same time, and select which one you want via settings.

1. I inserted a sim chip from ATT into my new iPad pro. does the info transfer to the internal sim chip 2. Will it then work if I remove the ATT Sim card 3. If the above is true I will then have an available sim slot. Can I insert a Sim card in Europ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.