Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule as an external USB HDD for Smart TV

Can someone please explain how to configure Time Capsule as an external USB HDD for Smart TV?

(AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac 3TB connected via USB port with LG 65UF850V Smart TV)

I have tried to create a new partition in the Time Capsule "Data" folder using Disk Utility > New Image

Tried different formats (exFAT, FAT32) but the TV just does not see the volume.

How can I make this work?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 4:25 PM

Sorry the USB port on a TC cannot be used this way.. it is to attach a hard disk or a printer.. it will NOT give access to the internal disk.

I have tried to create a new partition in the Time Capsule "Data" folder using Disk Utility > New Image

Nor can you do this.. the internal disk of the TC is formatted HFS+ for Time Machine backups.. that is the only use it was designed for..

Buy a USB external drive.. they are cheap ..

Smart TV needs DLNA functionality to use video files on network resource.. TC has no media extensions.. not now .. not ever. Apple have restricted their systems to using iTunes.. and you must run iTunes on a computer somewhere in the network.

You can plug any proper Media Player into the TV and use it to play videos stored on the TC.. eg a WD live TV is a proper media player.. A PS3 or PS4 or any device that runs Plex can do it.. but it has to be intelligent.. ie be able to pick up a file in MPEG format (whatever??) and stream it.

People have used ipad and using VLC or some media player software, then used airplay to TV.. in the end this is just too complicated, as well as depending on wireless connections which are prone to slow video streaming.

An Apple TV is a streaming device.. it is NOT a media player.

You need to rethink your whole approach.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2016 4:25 PM in response to carelaverink

Sorry the USB port on a TC cannot be used this way.. it is to attach a hard disk or a printer.. it will NOT give access to the internal disk.

Nor can you do this.. the internal disk of the TC is formatted HFS+ for Time Machine backups.. that is the only use it was designed for..

Buy a USB external drive.. they are cheap ..

Smart TV needs DLNA functionality to use video files on network resource.. TC has no media extensions.. not now .. not ever. Apple have restricted their systems to using iTunes.. and you must run iTunes on a computer somewhere in the network.

You can plug any proper Media Player into the TV and use it to play videos stored on the TC.. eg a WD live TV is a proper media player.. A PS3 or PS4 or any device that runs Plex can do it.. but it has to be intelligent.. ie be able to pick up a file in MPEG format (whatever??) and stream it.

People have used ipad and using VLC or some media player software, then used airplay to TV.. in the end this is just too complicated, as well as depending on wireless connections which are prone to slow video streaming.

An Apple TV is a streaming device.. it is NOT a media player.

You need to rethink your whole approach.

Time Capsule as an external USB HDD for Smart TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.