Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize Problem: Need Boot Camp Linux+ElCap, with VirtualBox VM from both

I want to create

Boot Camp partitions

1. MacOSX El Capitan (already exists)

2. Linux (still can't boot from usb created with unetbootin)

I want to create Virtual Box VMs

3. VM of Linux Guest on El Capitan host...but the VM will run Linux on the 2nd boot camp partition as guest

4. VM of MacOSX El Capitan on Linux host...but the VM will run MacOSX on the 1st boot camp partition as guest

Will it be possible to do 3 and 4 ?

I understand there may be some caveats when running MacOSX in VM...eg Xcode. I am willing to put up with some functional limitations and can boot into macosx (using rEFInd boot manager) to overcome when needed.

I tried to follow this guide

http://linuxnewbieguide.org/?p=1819

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/209272/how-do-i-get-refind-working-with -os-x-10-11-el-capitan

But I still have starter problem:

p1. cannot resize the MacOSX partition (OS X extended journaled filesystem)

already booted macosx el cap off a usb drive...but cannot resize the macosx el cap partition from 1.

need to remove the "journaled" in filesystem ?

how to remove "journaled" filesystem with Disk Utility ?

- use Disk Utility from the usb macosx el cap ?

- use Disk Utility from the hdd macosx el cap (after boot into recovery) ?

- need a mavericks boot usb that will have a "better" Disk Utility?

is the "sequence" of steps correct ?

a. disable SIP (system integrity protection)

b. install rEFInd boot manager

c. convert hfs+ filesystem to remove journaling (can't do this yet)

d. resize macosx el cap on ssd

e. boot linux from usb, install to ssd

Below is output of my SSD (btw, I have 100GB free on disk1)

$ diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group 2CC57FD1-1151-4C54-9B5C-947582835034

=========================================================

Name: Mac

Size: 250140434432 B (250.1 GB)

Free Space: 18882560 B (18.9 MB)

|

+-< Physical Volume 0F345D20-35F2-4570-BF40-B91D766CE73F

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 250140434432 B (250.1 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 13B75C39-E77B-4B17-AAAA-FC7D8AF9F3C9

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: None

|

+-> Logical Volume 81519DC2-4A4F-4E3F-8260-AABC2CB22F8F

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk1

Size (Total): 249769230336 B (249.8 GB)

Revertible: Yes (no decryption required)

LV Name: Mac

Volume Name: Mac

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 10:02 PM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 8:20 AM in response to bluejaybkk

officially bootcamp only support windows

virtual machines is another matter it's just a file

but osx don't play nicely with running in other virtual machines then parallels which is only out for osx I believe

if you place your virtual machine files on a shared storage where both operating systems can read and write then virtual machine clients running on both operating systems should be able to access the same virtual machine

Apr 28, 2016 7:12 PM in response to bluejaybkk

Thank you for your response Rudegar.

I should have phrased my query without references to bootcamp

I understand that officially bootcamp only supports windows....that's why I want to use rEFInd instead of boot camp.

One of my queries is regarding Virtual Box ability use a bootable partition and open that as a VM

similar to what is asked here...http://askubuntu.com/questions/168156/how-to-use-a-real-partition-with-windows-7 -installed-in-a-virtualbox-vm

Clearly it can be done when Virtual Box is under Linux and the VM is a Windows partition.

I rephrase my query to remove references to bootcamp

I have Bootable partitions

- MacOSX El Capitan (already exists) 1st partition

- Linux (still can't boot from usb created with unetbootin)...cannot yet create this 2nd partition (cannot yet resize El Cap partition)

I want to create Virtual Box VMs

1. VM of Linux Guest on El Capitan host...but the VM will run Linux on the 2nd bootable partition as guest ?

2. VM of MacOSX El Capitan on Linux host...but the VM will run MacOSX on the 1st bootable partition as guest ?

Will it be possible to do 1 and 2 ?

I understand there may be some caveats when running MacOSX in VM...eg Xcode. I am willing to put up with some functional limitations and can boot directly into macosx (using rEFInd boot manager) to overcome when needed.

Still, my current problem is

A. cannot even resize macosx el cap...I need to resize my macosx El cap partition before I can proceed further.

B. cannot even boot from Linux usb drive...actually can boot from the usb, but then I get some error even before showing the Linux install/boot menu.

Apr 28, 2016 7:44 PM in response to bluejaybkk

these links do seem to hint its possible...with a lot of warnings about the risks (of course)

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-dual-boot-and-virtualize-the-same-partition-on-y-49 3223329

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48704

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com/2011/02/boot-real-mac-os-x-partition-under.ht ml

perhaps, I need to use macosx Parallels (instead of VirtualBox) to run Linux as a VM...as Rudegar already suggested.

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/can-parallels-7-run-linux-from-a-partition.1 14100/

maybe i need to be satisfied with just rEFInd ability to boot into Mac and Linux on different partitions...which is an acceptable limitation for me.

which would still leave me with my current problem (as in OP)

A. cannot even resize macosx el cap...I need to resize my macosx El cap partition before I can proceed further.

B. cannot even boot from Linux usb drive...actually can boot from the usb, but then I get some error even before showing the Linux install/boot menu.

May 2, 2016 12:52 AM in response to bluejaybkk

I managed to solve this...

Step1. Disk Utility from El Cap and an Old Disk Utility were not able to partition (resize) my SSD drive with El Capitan installed.

Solution: 1.1 Boot into Single User mode (Apple + S), then run the following at the command line

# /sbin/fsck -fy (best to do this 2 or even 3 times, until no errors or warnings are seen)

# csrutil disable

#shutdown -r now

1.2 Boot into Recovery mode (Apple + R)

Use Old Disk Utility to resize the SSD drive with El Capitan installed.

Step2.

2.1 Keep copy of rEFInd utility on an external usb drive

2.2 Boot into macosx El cap (normal mode)

2.3 install rEFInd (from command line as root user )

2.3.1 /home/<user>/$ sudo -i

2.3.2 cd <path-to-rEFInd-binary>/

2.3.3 ./refind-install

3. reboot mac (with Linux/Ubuntu boot usb plugged in)

3.1 rEFInd boot screen will come up

3.2 select the linux usb boot drive

3.3 install linux ... each model will have different install methods, start with the "Try Linux" grub prompt (edit the grub commands for your hardware).

3.4 do all other linux setup etc.

4. reboot mac (press the Option key while rebooting)

you might have lost the rEFInd boot configuration during the Linux install.

boot mac with Option key will allow you to choose to boot macosx.

re-install rEFInd from macosx.

5. use Old Disk Utility to disable journaling on macosx (if you want to mount it rw on linux).

Note: its maybe unwise to disable journaling on your bootable macosx partition.

Best is to have a 2nd hdd (after replacing superdrive), or another macosx partition...created as hfs+ (not journaled) so that macosx and linux can read and write to that drive.

You can also install some macosx utilities to read-write linux extfs partitions.

5. reboot...voila! you should have rEFInd come up, and waiting for you to choose macosx or linux on your mac hardware.

Resize Problem: Need Boot Camp Linux+ElCap, with VirtualBox VM from both

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.