Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

expresscard 34 usb 3.0 for macbook pro

I'm looking for a solution, my USB hub is finished. Looking at OS X El Capitan, I believe it supports Express Card/34mm. If this is the case, my solution is to upgrade to El Capitan, purchase an express card with USB 3 ports. I have a MBP 17" 2010.

Any comments? Suggestions? Greatly appreciate everyone experience in this matter.

BTW, I'm presently running Mavericks. And I've read that Express Card port is turned off. I have to move on if I want to use it anyway.

PowerBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Boot Camp partition

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 12:57 AM

Working perfectly, but OS X driver has serious limitations.

You've to add GenericUSBXHCI.kext to /Library/Extensions: once you have disabled system protection from recovery mode MultiBeast do this for you in few seconds, very simple.

Follow this tutorial on Youtube GMYLE USB 3.0 express card 34 / How to MacBook Pro 17 Installation - YouTube.

I've buyed the first ExpressCard on Amazon (CSL, about 14 euro) and works perfectly, USB 3.0 speed on 2010 MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Best regards

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2017 12:57 AM in response to Kilroy61

Working perfectly, but OS X driver has serious limitations.

You've to add GenericUSBXHCI.kext to /Library/Extensions: once you have disabled system protection from recovery mode MultiBeast do this for you in few seconds, very simple.

Follow this tutorial on Youtube GMYLE USB 3.0 express card 34 / How to MacBook Pro 17 Installation - YouTube.

I've buyed the first ExpressCard on Amazon (CSL, about 14 euro) and works perfectly, USB 3.0 speed on 2010 MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Best regards

Apr 28, 2016 11:47 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Plug and play, heh. Not plug and pray. I'm aware that the port has a limitation of 5gb.

found this card on NCIX.

STARTECH 2 PORT EXPRESSCARD USB 3.0 CARD ADAPTER

http://www.ncix.com/detail/startech-2-port-expresscard-usb-9a-110646.htm

IT has UASP support with mean there was more thought to this card. There are no Mac drivers, which scares me. Anyone try this?

Apr 28, 2016 12:50 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I looked at their card, on Amazon I snuffled through some reviews. also a added comment about OS X drivers. Doesn't say which version of OS X. Pre OS X El Capitan? How are they now?

3. The Mac OS X Driver has SERIOUS LIMITATIONS. It only supports USB 3.0 hard drives, Sonnet's media reader and Lexar's Compact Flash/SD reader. The PC Drivers works for any 3.0 peripheral.

4. The Mac OS X Driver DOES NOT SUPPORT USB 3.0 HUBS. They do not show up when plugged in. This means I can't buy 4-port powered USB 3.0 HUBs and run 4 or more external hard drives off of this USB 3.0 adapter. Since NO USB 3.0 external drives allow you to daisy-chain hard drives, this limitation is difficult to accept. It limits the adapter to two external hard drives (one bus powered if you also use up a USB 2.0 port).

expresscard 34 usb 3.0 for macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.