Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong map location of friends, but correct in list

I’ve noticed that the Find my friends map on iCloud is not always updating when I hit the refresh button inside iCloud. To make the map refresh, I’ve to refresh through the browser.

Maybe not a biggie you think. But as a father I got really scared a couple of time when Find my friends showed strange locations of my small kids when I expected them to be in school.

I’ve discovered another workaround on this problem. If you name some locations, e.g. “School” and “Home”, then the list to the left is showing School even though the map is saying something totally different.

This is what I’m using:

Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1

Chrome 49.0.2623.112

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 11:52 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2016 9:30 AM in response to MatteB

Hello there, MatteB.

It sounds like you are having issues with the locations not showing up correctly when using Find My Friends. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some good pointers to look over when troubleshooting:

Get help using Find My Friends

If you need help, try these steps first:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of Find My Friends and the latest version of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. Check Find My Friends on the System Status page for issues.
  3. Force Find My Friends to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Wait a minute, then open the app again.
  4. Use these steps if the app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open.

If you still need help, check the questions below for your issue. You can also check the Help menu in the Find My Friends app:

• On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Me, then tap Help.
  • On an iPad, tap the List button, tap Me, tap Info, then tap Help.
User uploaded file

Get help viewing locations

Learn what do if you can't see a location, a location isn't correct, or your friends can't see your device's location.

If you forced the app to close

If you force Find My Friends to close in iOS 7 or later, Find My Friends might not be able to detect proximity to a geographic location (geofencing). Geofence alerts from Find My Friends won't be delivered to friends who follow your device, and your device won't appear on your friend's device. After you close the app, reopen it on your device.

You should force the Find My Friends app to close only if it's unresponsive. Find My Friends can send your current location to friends even when the app is in the background.

If you see a "No location available" label for friends

You might not see your friend's location for these reasons:

• Your friend might need to correct the date on their device. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
  • The device is off or isn't connected to cellular or Wi-Fi.
  • Your friend turned on Hide My Location in Find My Friends.
  • Your friend turned off Location Services in Settings > Privacy > Location Services or in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Find Friends.
  • Your friend isn't signed in to Find My Friends on the device being located.
  • The device is in a country where Apple doesn't offer this feature. This feature might not be available in all countries due to technical limitations or local law.

A device's previous location will be available for 2 hours. After 2 hours, "Location not available" appears.

If a location is old or inaccurate

You might not see a device's current location if it needs to update in iCloud. Wait a few minutes, then try again.

If you're signed in to Find My Friends on more than one device, you might need to check which of your devices your friends can see:

• On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap Me, then tap your active device under Share My Location From. This choice only appears when you're currently signed in to Find My Friends on multiple devices.
  • On an iPad, tap the List button, tap Me, tap Info, then tap your active device under Share My Location From. This choice only appears when you're currently signed in to Find My Friends on multiple devices.

If the location circle is too large

If the location circle is too large, wait a few minutes, then try again. The device might be determining a more accurate location, or it might not be able to provide a more accurate location. This can happen if the device is indoors with no known Wi-Fi base station around.

If the location label isn't accurate

If you set a location label, such as Home or Work, the label will display only if your device's location is accurate. If your device's location is too broad to match the location that you used when you set the label, the label might not show.

Thanks for being a part of Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Wrong map location of friends, but correct in list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.