Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade AirPort Express firmware from 7.6.4 to 7.6.1?

I have an AirPort Express 802.11n, 2nd generation, with firmware version 7.6.4. I have been unable to get a Chromecast to connect to it - there seems to be a known issue with connecting to any firmware over version 7.6.1. Using AirPort Utility 6.3.6 I can option click on the firmware version for the router and get the choice of downgrading to firmware 7.6.3, but nothing earlier. The 'other' option opens a 'my documents' dialog but if there is an earlier firmware version stored somewhere on my Mac I don't know where to find it. Grateful for any assistance.

AirPort Express-OTHER

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 3:37 PM

If you purchased the Express with 7.6.4 firmware it cannot be downgraded. Apple blocked downgrades.. and 7.6.3 is poor so stick to what you have.

I think the issues with Chromecast on 7.6.4 or 7.6.3 have more to do with extreme than express.. nevertheless if it refuses to work.. be smart..

Apple designed their network for apple devices.. hence use Apple TV not a chromecast.

OR

Buy a cheap as chips bottom of the range N wireless TP-Link (or other chinese brand) wireless router.. plug it into whatever wireless router is the main router of the network and use it as WAP for the Chromecast.. you will have far less issues sticking to Non-Apple wireless gear when you use non-apple streamers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 3:37 PM in response to Kaihuia

If you purchased the Express with 7.6.4 firmware it cannot be downgraded. Apple blocked downgrades.. and 7.6.3 is poor so stick to what you have.

I think the issues with Chromecast on 7.6.4 or 7.6.3 have more to do with extreme than express.. nevertheless if it refuses to work.. be smart..

Apple designed their network for apple devices.. hence use Apple TV not a chromecast.

OR

Buy a cheap as chips bottom of the range N wireless TP-Link (or other chinese brand) wireless router.. plug it into whatever wireless router is the main router of the network and use it as WAP for the Chromecast.. you will have far less issues sticking to Non-Apple wireless gear when you use non-apple streamers.

Apr 28, 2016 3:43 PM in response to Kaihuia

The bottom line here is that you might be able to upgrade an AirPort router's firmware, but you can only downgrade as far as the firmware that came with your AirPort. The fat that you can downgrade to 7.6.3 means that your AirPort was originally manufactured with 7.6.3.

Current AirPort Express devices use firmware 7.6.5, but Apple will not let you update from 7.6.4 to 7.6.5.

Sometimes, as is the case with firmware 7.7.3, you cannot go back to an earlier version once you have upgraded to 7.7.3, even if your device shipped with an earlier version.

Can I downgrade AirPort Express firmware from 7.6.4 to 7.6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.