Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina 15 Inch 2015 USB Port not giving enough power.

I purchased this Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch 2015 awhile back and have been using as my daily device for video editing and other things. For months now I've been using this with no problem what's so ever, with the USB ports working fine when plugging in my android device, flash drives, USB hubs, and external hard drives. All which my Macbook was able to read perfectly fine until I noticed some devices can't be read. One of the items is a SD card reader which doesn't get read when plugged in, no lights is shown the the reader, and at first I assumed in was a defect reader until I tested on my older white Macbook and Windows laptop, all in which works perfectly fine with no hiccups. Another problem is when I plug in my iPads, iPad mini 4 and iPad 3rd Gen, the laptop would read it then stops reading it over and over again, like it keep disconnecting and reconnecting every second, which seems like the iPad isn't getting enough power to be read, and yes I have try testing with multiple cables, from third parties to the original apple cables, the only time any iDevice has connected was my old iPhone 4s and my friend's iPhone 5s. Any thought on why with certain things like the external hard drive and my android phone being able to connect perfectly fine and my iPads and SD card reader won't get detected or even stay connected long enough to be useful. Even in Disk Utilities the SD Reader doesn't show up and only sign of anything showing up is when I plug my SD Card reader into the USB where the message (Please plug device into main USB port on Macbook) or something along the lines. Just incase this might be relevant but my Macbook has been in perfect condition and has never had any physical damage, no drops, nor anything like that.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 12:06 AM

1 reply

Macbook Pro Retina 15 Inch 2015 USB Port not giving enough power.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.