Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Erase & Sync" with (PC) Backup?

Hi, if I make a backup only on the computer (when connected iPhone at PC), after click "Erase & Sync" and after I will restore from this, I will have some losses? Photo? Messages? Memo vocals? Apps data (like whatsapp msgs, games data)? Or I'll find the iPhone equal to now? And music into the iCloud music library? Will still reman saved for the offline used on my iPhone as now?

Please help me...

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 9:13 PM

12 replies

Apr 28, 2016 8:46 AM in response to matteobsch

See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. Erase & Sync covers media such as music, videos, podcasts, etc. Anything on the device will be removed and replaced with content from the local library. App data should be preserved but I would make sure to backup first just in case. I deally you would copy over the library from the previous computer, then everything will sync as normal without the erase and sync warning.

tt2

Apr 28, 2016 10:27 AM in response to matteobsch

As I understand it you've connected to a new computer. Your old computer has died and you believe it isn't possible to recover your library from its hard drive. (BTW it is often possible to read the data from the drive of a computer that won't boot up if put the drive in an external drive bay.) Right now you would like to add some more content to your device but you are seeing the erase and sync warning telling you that media will be removed if you proceed. While there are some third party tools that might be able to manipulate the content on the device now probably isn't the time to test them out. Right now you have an opportunity to extract any media that is on your device and recover it into a new local library. You can do it for free with a little effort, or less effort if you're prepared to pay.If your third party tool messes things up for you then you blow your chance to recover the data.

If iCloud Music library is enabled on the device then you don't need to sync it, but you should back it up. You add content to the device by adding it to your library, however adding video content from sources other than the iTunes store is unlikely to work. Are you using iTunes Match or Apple Music, or both?

tt2

Apr 28, 2016 11:58 AM in response to turingtest2

NO, you don't understan. Yes, I having Apple Music and Apple team said that with manually manage it is possible (add video to library) but when select the option on sync page iTunes tells me that if I want apply I have to "Erase & Sync" but I don't want because I don't sync my iDevice too much because I have iCloud music library and the Music is always sync but I want to Add this video on the library and Erase, bakup s and another things is too much for me and for what that I do. (I didn't know that,when My PC died). So now I want an third-party app to resolve this (like AnyTrans) but I want more info..also the same Apple Support tells me that with third-party app is the only way for what that I search (Sorry for any grammatical error, I'm Italian)

Apr 28, 2016 12:28 PM in response to matteobsch

I think I understand the issues well enough.

You can switch a device from automatic syncing to manual management without iTunes wanting to remove the content that is already on the device, unless you are connected to the library that loaded up the media to it.

With Apple Music/iCloud Music Library enabled on the device you manage what is available to the device by adding content to your iCloud Music Library on your computer. On the device you can then choose to stream content or download it for offline use.

You can backup your device and transfer media purchases into your local library without affecting the content that is on the device. You should do this now whatever else you choose to do..

You may also be able to extract unprotected media that was previously loaded up on the device. You should probably try this method now, particularly if you do decide to iTunes erase & sync. Erase and sync should affect the content of your iCloud Music Library, but anything you download from it that wasn't an iTunes Store purchase will likely have DRM attached. This locks you in to an ongoing subscription unless you want to throw away your non store purchases.

iLounge
Article

Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide. Page two of this guide shows how to extract all your media using Windows Explorer or Finder. It is mainly aimed at older devices that can be accessed via disk mode, however free tools such as iFunBox or MediaMonkey which give access to the iOS file system may also allow you to use this method to extract media from an iOS device. Windows users would be able to make use of the two scripts above to recover playlists and stats.

Recommended for retrieving everything from the device in one go.

For these video files that you want to add you may be able to use an application like CineXPlayer or VLC to load these up to your device independently of the iTunes syncing mechanism. That might give you time to consider the options. Transfer of files using the iTunes > Device > Apps > File Sharing area shouldn't affect media on the device.

tt2

Apr 28, 2016 9:04 PM in response to turingtest2

I Don't understand when you say that I can select "manually manage" without erase & sync because on the sync Page of My iTunes I select "manually Manage for songs & videos" and After iTunes tells me "apply" and when I click that, Apple tells me "Erase & Sync"... What can I do?

So yes, I want to Add some videos of My library but I want to Add this on My Music library, on My Music app, as music videoclip, you know?

Apr 29, 2016 3:41 AM in response to matteobsch

I guess something was lost in translation. You said that the Apple team told you that you could manually manage the device. I was saying that I knew that would trigger the erase and sync warning unless you were using the original library. If you recover all of your media then you can erase and reload without losing everything. That is why I keep suggesting that you make an effort to recover your media from the device.

tt2

Apr 29, 2016 8:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Instead it's possible!! : Move content from iTunes on your computer to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

But with iTunes I cannot do it because it tells me "Erase & Sync" then any videos not adds to my iPhone's library. For this I'm looking for a 3rd-party app with which this will be possibile, and the same Apple support told me this. I'm looking for a 3rd-party app as "AnyTrans", for example, but I don't know use it, for this I asked here if someone know other apps that does this or someone that know how can I do this with AnyTrans app.

"Erase & Sync" with (PC) Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.