Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has stopped working

I have been using chrome for a while but decided to use safari after a while, when i click on the icon the front page loaded and started loading all my bookmarks from chrome (there are a lot). A dropdown came up asking if i wanted safari to be my default browser, the small box was ticked, but there appears to be no way forward from that point. Every dropdown from the the top bar wit File, Edit is greyed out, i have to then use force quit.

It shuts down no problem but on restarting it goes to the same place?

I have read that there seems to be a problem with Safari but cannot find my exact problem.

I also have a Macbook and this works just fine so i am think it is just my iMac thats the problem.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 1:58 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2016 8:06 AM in response to hawkeyefxr

Something else ..

I noticed your profile suggests your Mac is El Capitan v10.11.3.

Updating your OS X software will also help to keep Safari stable.

Click your Apple  top left in your screen.

From the drop down menu click About this Mac

Make sure the Overview tab is selected then click Software Update.

Your Mac may restart several times during the update process. That’s ok.

Also, you can avoid using third party utilities to find files on your Mac. I'll use the Safari.plist as an example.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Click Go. Your Mac will open a Finder widow and highlight the file searched for.

~/ (Tilde) character represents your Home folder

/ Without Tilde represents the root folder

Safari has stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.