Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - There was a problem connecting to your network (-3906)

Product name: Apple TV (3rd Gen) Model A1469

Version number of the Apple TV Software: 7.2.1 (8011)

The problem: I am now getting an error when I turn the Apple TV on. "There was a problem connecting to your network (-3906)". So I can't get WiFi to the device. It had been working perfectly and is not that old. I've moved house recently and have no idea about where the receipt is.

Details about what seems to cause it: I have no idea.

Troubleshooting steps you've already tried: I have removed the Apple TV and replaced it with another one at the same location and it works fine. I have plugged in an Ethernet cable and it fi dos the Internet without problem. I've restarted the device. I've reset it to factory settings. I've tried it where the other Apple TV was working. I've removed the encryption from my Airport Express and tried to reconnect. None of these steps have fixed it.

I am sure this has happened to me before with an Apple TV and I just replaced it. But I'm not keen on replacing them every year or so, even though our family uses them a lot.

I see this has been an issue for other Apple TV users too but it doesn't seem to be fixed.

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 2:38 AM

18 replies

Apr 28, 2016 3:19 AM in response to steve1974

There have been reports of ATV failing to connect after waking from sleep, but it affects only some users.

When it occurs, can you enter the ATV network settings and select your WiFi network? Or does it fail to see any networks?

Can you restart it and make it work?

Based on reports, some ATVs, while sleeping, experience some event that causes them to shut down their WiFi. They do not turn it on when awakened, so only rebooting the software causes them to return to normal.

Does your router turn off the WiFi overnight?

You say another ATV works at this location. What is its version and software?

Since you say it works with ethernet, that may be your workaround until there is a solution.

You need to report this at http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Apr 28, 2016 5:07 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks for the prompt reply, Diana. Much appreciated.

When I go into network settings I can see my WiFi network (and that of my neighbours').

As I mentioned, restarting does not fix the issue, nor does resetting to factory settings.

My router does not turn off overnight.

The other Apple TV is identical in version and software to this one but works fine in the same location.

Yes the Ethernet connection is a workaround but I can't use AirPlay from our devices and have to take the ethernet cable from my cable TV box to do so. Not ideal.

I reckon I'll be getting a ChromeCast set up soon. I can't keep buying Apple TVs every 12 months. Might be a good excuse to wean our family off Apple products. We have MANY!

I've reported this at the page you suggested.

Apr 28, 2016 5:30 AM in response to steve1974

OK. Since you can see the network in settings, you should be able to select it and get back on the air. This is awkward, but workable. I assume there's a sleep delay time that you can set relatively long, so it doesn't sleep too often.

Although restarting doesn't eliminate the problem, I assume it does put you back on the air. That's all I expected it to do.

Even though the router does not turn off, it may have a setting to turn the WiFi radios off on a schedule.

It is very interesting that the other ATV is identical, and works at the location. Since it's hard to imagine that your device is physically broken in such a way that only produces this failure (lost WiFi after sleep), it must be a software issue of some kind. The other ATV with the same software version works, so your software may be corrupted. You can restore the software to get a clean copy, see Restore your Apple TV through iTunes - Apple Support . Note that this is a fairly large download, so it may take a while.

Your proposed ChromeCast will not support AirPlay.

Apr 28, 2016 5:53 AM in response to Diana.McCall

I'm not sure what you mean by "on the air". If you mean it allows me to rejoin the WiFi network then no, it does not. It asks me to re-enter my password then tells me "There was a problem connecting to your network (-3906)". Restarting does not "put me back on the air" either. I can not get past the error.

The Airport Express router does not have a "radios off" setting.

I don't want ChromeCast to do AirPlay. I want it to wirelessly stream content from my iMac to my TV. But that is not the point. The point is my Apple TV WiFi connection has stopped working for no reason.

Apr 28, 2016 8:35 AM in response to steve1974

OK. So you can see the network, but not connect to it. Have you made any changes to your network recently, particularly wireless router settings? Is there anything that might cause the router to reject ATV as a foreign invader?

Is there any chance that you are trying to use a static IP address for this ATV, and this address has now been taken by another device? In the ATV network WiFi settings, you should generally always leave IP address and DNS set to automatic. Did you add a new device to your network at about the time that ATV began to fail? Can you visit the router settings and see what is connected, using which IP addresses?

I may have misunderstood the nature of your problem. You mean that you can no longer connect to WiFi with this ATV, no matter what. Not just that it loses the net when awakened, but finds it again after some coaxing.

A different ATV of similar model works OK at the same location, so it should not be WiFi interference.

Apr 28, 2016 9:40 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Just an afterthought for anyone using MAC address filtering in their router. Remember that the MAC address is not a property of the device. Every NIC has a different MAC address. Thus, ATV has two MAC addresses, one for WiFi and one for ethernet. So, if you allow the ethernet address, that won't be enough for WiFi; you must repeat the permission protocol for WiFi.

Apr 28, 2016 8:59 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Bingo. I can see the network, but not connect to it. I have not made any changes to my network recently.

The router settings have not been changed. The ATV's WiFi was working and now it's not.

I can no longer connect to WiFi with this ATV, no matter what.

As I said, a different ATV of SAME model works perfectly at the same location. It is not WiFi interference.

Apr 30, 2016 3:58 AM in response to steve1974

Despite your expert information from the "Apple bloke" at a hifi store, I find it difficult to believe that the internal antennas are somehow broken. These ATVs are pretty tightly packaged, so little chance for things to break. Thus, a software restore is worth trying, if only to eliminate the possibility that it's a software problem.

Did you check the link I posted, to see if your serial number falls in the range reported?

Alternatively, you could use ethernet. You said you cannot use AirPlay with ATV on ethernet. If you have actually tested this, you can replace the router with a newer model that handles AirPlay correctly.

Apple do not generally intervene in these forums; they are strictly user-to-user.

Apr 30, 2016 5:49 AM in response to Diana.McCall

I once had to have the internal WiFi antenna of my 3 month old Samsung TV replaced as it was faulty. The TV had not been broken so there was no chance the antenna had been broken through usage. It was just faulty. Much like what it appears to be with my Apple TV.

The "Apple bloke" you have an issue with was in the Apple department, in an Apple T-shirt, trained and employed by Apple and based in the JB store. I'm tipping he's more of an expert than any run of the mill user on this forum.

I checked the serial number. It is not on the list.

As I have mentioned previously I connected the ethernet, although I want to use the WiFi instead. Regarding the AirPlay, yes I have actually tested this. The Airport Express router is three months old. I appreciate your efforts in assisting me but we are just going round and around in circles.

Apr 30, 2016 6:12 AM in response to steve1974

Sorry to bother you, but your router should be OK. You may need to enable multicast routing on it to allow WiFi devices to see the ethernet connection. If possible, that would give you a workable configuration.

Is it at all possible that the problem started with the new router? Is there some router setting that is preventing the ATV from connecting to WiFi? Is MAC address filtering enabled on the router? You might review the steps here Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Diana.McCall

You wouldn't believe it. I have worked it out!!

I had read that it was recommended that the IPv6 be turned off but you can't do that in the WiFi TCP/IP settings now. The only options are to change them to "automatically", "manually" or "link-local only".

So then I thought I'd check my router settings through the Airport Utility. I discovered that two of my three Airport Express devices had Enable Access Control checked. When I went in there, the Timed Access Control had an "Unknown" device changed to "No Access". Once I turned off the Enable Access Control the Apple TV started working over the WiFi again without issue.

This must be a glitch or something because I can guarantee I hadn't changed any Access Control for any devices.

Very very pleased with myself!!

Apple TV - There was a problem connecting to your network (-3906)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.