Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to browse the web while having ethernet cable plugged in to switcher on custom IP

So I am using my MBP to control AV switchers like Blackmagic ATEM TV Studio or Analog Way Ascender via Ethernet cable. I have to submit custom IP address, subnet mask & gateways. Unless I unplug the Ethernet cable, I can not browse the web at the same time. Is there a way to change that? You can do it on Windows no problem....

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 3:51 AM

8 replies

Apr 28, 2016 7:48 AM in response to elemelas

Your Mac will send Internet packets to the top Interface listed on the System preferences > Network pane. Packets that are going to devices on the local Network are sent directly, not via your Router.

You may need to set Internet addresses very carefully to get Internet packets to go to the Router to get forwarded to the Internet, and local packets to go directly to local devices.

If you want help with this, list the Addresses you are using, and which interface is the topmost in the Network pane. These should all be "strictly-local" addresses, and not anything that is Internet accessible, so you will not be giving away anything private. (for example, lost of folks have 192.168.xxx.yyy addresses and/or 10.10.xxx.yyy addresses on their local networks, but they are not directly reachable from the Internet because they are in one of three "strictly local" ranges.)

Apr 29, 2016 9:14 AM in response to elemelas

All of your networking equipment is on the Same, Single network -- you do not have two distinct networks, and you cannot re-use any numbers.

Gateway 192.168.2.140

switcher is 192.168.2.140

no, that is NOT OK, that address is already used by the gateway. You must use a different address.

WiFi is DHCP on 192.168.0.15

that address needs to be on the same subnet as the Gateway (an address the same in all but the last octet), or you cannot get on the Internet, or you have an additional Router/Gateway you have not listed, or you are using additional addresses on other ports on your Mac you have not listed.

Unable to browse the web while having ethernet cable plugged in to switcher on custom IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.