Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Icloud email address

I need to change my email address on my icloud account for safety reasons can anyone help me with the best way to do this without losing my apple id information etc? I am not very tech savvy and any advice would be helpful

iPod touch, null

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 2:38 PM

Hi Eric or anyone,

I have an Apple ID which I sign into iCloud which is working fine. We recently setup Family Sharing and my 12 year old used his email address to signup for an iCloud email account. How can I delete his new iCloud email account form my iCloud account?

Thanks so much.

Roestuff

15 replies

Jan 4, 2017 5:03 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi GB and Eric,

I see where my question is not clear. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that we were setting up Family Sharing at the time that I noticed my issue. Let's leave Family Sharing out of the equation for now.

When I log in my iCloud account, the mail icon now appears. It never appeared before because I had never set up an iCloud email address. I investigated it and went into the mail settings. I noticed it had an iCloud email account setup with my son's name in as the prefix before the "icloud.com". I suspect he went in under my Apple ID and for some reason set it up.

My question is: how do I remove this email account on iCloud email? I don't need an alias because I will not be using the iCloud email system but I also don't want this hanging out there.

Thanks again.

Roestuff

Jan 4, 2017 7:49 PM in response to Roestuff

If you have a Mac, open the Mail app, then click on Mail>Preferences>Accounts, and you should be able to disable the email account you don't want. If you are doing it via an iDevice, it would be under Settings>Mail>Accounts, then scroll to the bottom and Sign Out.

You can also turn off Mail in Settings>iCloud, or on a Mac, System Preferences>iCloud. Just turn the Mail switch off.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 2, 2017 7:10 PM in response to hounddogmartin67

You are going to have to be a little more clear about what you are asking about. What do you mean by your "icloud email address and password"? Are you saying you have two Apple IDs? One that has iCloud and one that doesn't? iCloud is a function of an Apple ID. So, if you change the Apple ID that the iCloud account is a derivative of, the iCloud address is updated.

Can you be clearer on what it is you are asking about?

Cheers,

GB

Sep 26, 2017 2:36 PM in response to Community User

Why is it so difficult to understand what they are asking? It shouldn’t be. As of yet no one has been able to answer the question on this page.

What are you talking about. I answered Roestuff's question, even though it was complicated by oversharing (i.e., including a story about Family Sharing).

And, there is more than one question on this thread. There are several, actually.

It should be patently clear by the questions I am asking each poster, that the situations they are describing are unique, and are missing information.

Do you have a universal answer that will work for all versions of Apple/iCloud/ ID combinations? Multiple IDs? Once Apple ID, one iCloud ID? One Apple/iCloud ID, one iTunes ID? Apple ID changed before being signed out of iCloud, so issues getting previous version of Apple ID signed out?

Please share your insight with us.

And if you have a question, then write out specifically what your issue is. If you don't provide every piece of information that we are going to need to troubleshoot your particular flavor of problem, then you will also be asked questions.

The biggest issues we have with Apple/iCloud/iTunes IDs is that people have no clue how they work, where they are located, how they interact, what the difference between an Apple-domain email address is and any other email address. It's not a straightforward one answer fits all circumstances kind of thing.

So, please, just ask whatever your question is, and we will try to help.

GB

Changing Icloud email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.