Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server 5.1 Issues

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue where after my upgrade to OSX Server 5.1, My Netinstall service will only let a Mac boot once to it and image it successfully, if you then try and do it again afterwards, like when I am testing packages for image deployments, it will not longer boot. It gets the Globe, tries to then go through the progress bar and then get stuck at around 75 - 80% of the way. It is not the Netboot image itself, it is one that I was using on a previous server and was working fine for all models of machines that I have currently. I have tried to reset the net install service following this procedure:

1. In Server, stop the NetInstall service.

2. In the list of images, disable the "Make this image available for diskless booting" option for the diskless image and save your changes. Do this for each diskless NetBoot image.

3. Under the Settings tab, click the "Edit Storage Settings" button. Change the Stored Data option for each volume to "Images Only".

4. In the Finder, delete the NetBootClientsX directory from each volume (for example, /Library/NetBoot/NetBootClients0).

5. In Server app in the Settings tab, click the "Edit Storage Settings" button. Make sure that "Client Data" is enabled for at least one volume and save your changes.

6. Under the Images tab, enable the "Make this image available for diskless booting" option for the diskless image(s) and save your changes.

7. Start the NetInstall service.

To begin with the SUS updates were not working at all, you would enable them and then at a maximum of 3hrs later they would auto disable again, this was quite troubling and I was going to work on that but when the imaging stopped this took priority.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I could get this back up and running, this server originally was working perfectly with the Netinstall but after the upgrades it seems to have degraded gradually. I currently running the server as follows:

Model Name:Mac Pro
Model Identifier:MacPro6,1
Processor Name:Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed:3.7 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:4

OSX 10.11.4

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), OSX Server

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:27 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Louis Treger

I was pulling my hair out for days on this one.

From my investigation it looks like it has something to do with afp going idle.

Here are the two commands I used to get it working:

1. sudo serveradmin settings afp:clientSleepTime = 10000

2. sudo serveradmin settings afp:clientSleepOnOff = no

It might not make a difference but I also ignore permissions on the volume that host the Sharepoint and Client.

Hope that helps!

OSX Server 5.1 Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.