Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my magic mouse suddenly stopped scrolling in pages

Whilst editing a long document in pages my magic mouse suddenly stopped scrolling.

I have looked on various forums on line and found no solution.

I have checked my setting and preferences but found nothing changed.

It scrolls up and down fine on the Internet pages and in Numbers and even lets me scroll through my folder in Finder.

I have tried other folders and documents in Pages and the mouse will not scroll.

It shows as have 35% battery life and I would expect, if it was too low, not to work on anything.

Have I done something wrong?

I'm fairly new to Mac and perhaps I have inadvertently pressed a key combination during my editing.

Hopefully someone out there can tell me how to fix this problem.

I have had to resort to using the arrows to go up and down!!

And my mouse scrolls quite happily in this question document!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 7:15 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 7:25 AM in response to suebeland

Well I will reply to myself as I can see no way to edit the post.

I checked again on the Internet and came up with a site which said I had to change things for my mouse and/or trackpad (don't actually have one of those!) in Accessibility. All I did was click on the speed for scrolling and moved the arrow to 'faster' (it was positioned in the middle of the speed bar).

I then chose one of my Pages documents and, to my astonishment, found that I could once more scroll with the mouse!

Whilst this is all well and good and I can once more continue editing, I would still like to know WHY it suddenly stopped and WHY it began working when all I changed was the scroll speed.

Any and all answers will be gratefully received.

If I hit a combination of keys by accident which made it stop working in Pages, then I would like to know so that I don't make that mistake again if in fact I did made a mistake.

Apr 28, 2016 8:09 AM in response to suebeland

I take it that this is a Magic Mouse I. In the last three years, I have had three Apple Magic Mice.

1. Magic Mouse I - product flaw, just failed after 9 months. Rechargeable batteries only.
  2. Magic Mouse I - used recharged alkaline batteries that leaked on the battery terminals, and eventually killed the mouse.
  3. Magic Mouse II - working like a charm. Requires El Capitan, though strangely, it was working with Mountain Lion when dual booted.
    1. Issues: Occasionally will disconnect, and reconnect. Maybe couple times per week. Not a big issue.
    2. Charge will last for couple of weeks heavy use.

You problems may be a defective mouse, or over-used, weak rechargeable batteries that have about 10% charge remaining after a day of use. Or you have bluetooth interference from a nearby phone or computer fighting to pair with the mouse. Or a wireless phone, or microwave.

Put two brand new, AA batteries in the Magic Mouse I. If it still does not work, won't pair, or pairs and consistently disconnects, then you need another mouse.

Apr 28, 2016 8:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

It's a Magic Mouse II and has been working fine for the last 3 weeks since I became the proud owner of a Mac (runs El Capitan 10.11.4).

It has been in fairly intensive use during this time as I have been re-loading all my Windows documents and slowly making changes in the most used so that I can bin the .docx and continue with .pages. I see no point in keeping files in two different formats so my farewell from Microsoft is giving me a push to cleaning out and editing my documents.

Today I made a start on all the copy/pasted information I have listed on a second-hand forum. I had unfortunately 'lost' all my original files and photo's when Windows badly let me down on my Dell desktop. To save myself the enormous trouble and work of reinventing the wheel and making new photo's and description for hundreds of individual items, I decided to copy/paste what was still listed so that I only have about 25 or so to 're-do'.

This then gave me the chance of some intense editing (bold highlights, cleaning up spelling mistakes which Word had missed, changing the layout of the descriptions etc etc). So yes - the mouse was in fairly intensive use today but still shows 35% of power left. It will eventually require the power cable to reload fully as it doesn't use regular batteries.

So I will just have to live with it disconnecting from time to time which is a bit of a pain when trying to complete a particular task. But my female logic still questions why it scrolled fine in each and every Internet site I visited as well as in various Numbers documents but refused to work in Pages.

Perhaps I should put this question to Apple and see what they come up with for an answer.

And if it becomes too regular, then I'll buy a corded mouse and be done with it!!

Thanks again for this answer though.... the fog has slightly cleared (*_*)

my magic mouse suddenly stopped scrolling in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.