Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do a morph/disintegration effect?

Hello,

Complete newbie to Motion here...

I'm filming a client for a hologram on black tomorrow and they want to morph into a 3D 'Happy Birthday' after their speech in post.

Kind of like how this singer morphs into a coca cola bottle here at 1:40, with the bottle being text. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHV-F_R0BMg

What is the best way to achieve this?

Thank you in advance 🙂

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2016 3:06 PM

Are you still running Yosemite? If so, what version of Motion do you have? 3D Happy birthday effect is going to be much easier in Motion 5.2+.

In the meantime, the basics:

Luma Key the background (you'll need a garbage matte around your subject.)

Create an emitter effect -- 3D -- swirling objects (you'll need to Z-align your subject inside the "swirl")

Fade out subject - Fade in 3D Happy Birthday text (and animate into final position [I'm guessing])

1,2,3 - easy 😉 [but if you need help with the "particulars" - and you will if you are as you say: a "complete newbie" - we can keep this thread going...]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2016 3:06 PM in response to matt_ldod

Are you still running Yosemite? If so, what version of Motion do you have? 3D Happy birthday effect is going to be much easier in Motion 5.2+.

In the meantime, the basics:

Luma Key the background (you'll need a garbage matte around your subject.)

Create an emitter effect -- 3D -- swirling objects (you'll need to Z-align your subject inside the "swirl")

Fade out subject - Fade in 3D Happy Birthday text (and animate into final position [I'm guessing])

1,2,3 - easy 😉 [but if you need help with the "particulars" - and you will if you are as you say: a "complete newbie" - we can keep this thread going...]

May 4, 2016 3:04 PM in response to fox_m

Hi fox_m

Thanks for your help! Apologies for the delay.

I've managed to get a bit of a grip on the software. How to fade in/out, how to group, how to add behavious etc...

I am currently struggling with making the 3D emitter effect 'swirl' though :/

Would you be able to go into a bit more detail about that part please?

May 4, 2016 8:05 PM in response to matt_ldod

The secret to getting the 3D effect out of an emitter is to make sure you 1st check the 3D checkbox then for Render Particles, change it to In Global 3D (Better).

As for swirling around another object >

To the Emitter object, add a Behaviors > Simulations > Orbit Around. In the drop well, drag and drop the object (image, shape, etc.) you want the objects to swirl around into the drop well. Set the Strength up (150 to 200 or more...) and Select the X and Z for the Include parameter (this will cause a swirl around the vertical axis.)

Tips:

Make the emitter a Point. The object being swirled around and the emitter should be lined up by center, but afterwards, you can drag the emitter along the X (or Z) axis to increase the "circulation". Keep the birth rate reasonable and increase the Life if need be. You don't need the Speed parameter but the Speed Randomness will make the particles scatter more naturally.

User uploaded file

You can set more starting points with the Initial Number parameter.

If you want to create multiple particle types, it's fairly easy but not all that obvious:

1) Create your (several) shapes in a group. [There's a lot of raw material in the Library Content section (example: search for Wisp).]

2) Set the playhead at the first frame

3) for each shape/layer: Type 'i' then 'o' (to set a 1 frame length in and out point)

Move the playhead forward one frame (type the âž™ key)

Move to the next layer (type the up or down arrow key depending if you start at the bottom of the group or the top of the group)

Repeat [ i o ➙ ↓ or ↑] until you reach the group level

4) Clone the Group

5) make an emitter out of the clone object

You should see some new parts of the Emitter Cell Controls:

User uploaded file

Turn OFF Play Frames (you can leave Random Start Frame on or turn it off... it's up to you.)

You'll be an expert in no time 😉

May 5, 2016 11:51 PM in response to matt_ldod

matt_ldod wrote:

… filming a client for a hologram on black tomorrow and they want to morph into a 3D 'Happy Birthday' … like how this singer morphs into a coca cola bottle here at 1:40…

maybe too late for commentary but..

User uploaded file

a) pretty sure, that is NOT recorded on black; a luma key is, I dare to say, never as 'clean' as a green/blue color key...

b) to make the partcile vanish 'behind' subject, a clean key is essential...

c) that is no morph, a simple dissolve, covered by that particle tornado...

d) how do you transit from person = vertical into 'Happy birthday' = horizontal ?? 😉

to create a 'morph' in Motion, watch T.Paytons advice for 'Morph Cut', which utilizes Optical Flow to morph btw two frames. Don't expect wonders, morphing a person into letters is ... hnnm. 😉

How to do a morph/disintegration effect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.