Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10 Organization Translator

I am having a hard time making sense of the words used in the organizational structure of FCPX. Perhaps someone here can help.

I want to edit a movie. I have some clips on my desktop that I want to organize in a sequence to tell a story. To do this I will organize them along a timeline. I want to organize all of the footage I want to use in this movie, and only that footage, in one place in front of me. What is that place called in FCPX?

Next, I will select clips from the footage located in that place and place them on the timeline where I will make edits.

The only part of the FCPX structure that makes sense to me so far is the timeline.

How should I think if the "Library" in this case?

How should I think of the "events"?

How should I think of "projects"?

It seems that these are FCPX specific definitions which I can't determine from sentence context or a dictionary. I would appreciate any help in how to think about this structure.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 7:54 AM

12 replies

Apr 28, 2016 8:15 AM in response to vinegarman

Every library has to have at least one event. In this case it sounds as if you need one library and it's one event. Your video gets imported into the event. You can leave it in place when you import if you wish. The project is where you edit you material; it's the edited sequence that you're creating.

What version are you using? Your OS shows Mountain Lion.

Apr 28, 2016 8:16 AM in response to vinegarman

Yes, the nomenclature is different and requires some getting used to.

The biggest difference between FCP X and most other editing applications is that FCP X is a clip besed editor – not track-based.

Sequences are assembled from clips on the primary storyline in a project. Rather than organizing material by different video and audio tracks, FCP X, uses connected clips. All clips connect to the primary storyline – regardless of the number of layers of clips.

I think of projects as sets of instructions. The project files are stored in event folders. Events also include media – either actual or linked to external files. Events are stored in Libraries.

Russ

Apr 28, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Russ H

I think of clips as things that go on tracks. Is there a flaw in thinking this way?

What is an "event"? I understood what you said about what's in it etc., but I am still confused about what it is. Is it the place where the clips I plan to use are placed for easy grabbing, a "materials desk"?

What is a Library? Is that the "off site" storage for the clips, the "materials"?

Apr 28, 2016 9:04 AM in response to vinegarman

Clips go on tracks, though technically there are no tracks in FCP.

An event is a folder inside a library.

A library is a bundle that contents all the information related to a production, all the events, and all projects, and all the metadata added to clips and other elements. The library may also contain the media used in the production, though it doesn't have it.

Apr 28, 2016 9:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes *** is what I mean by a movie. Why did it need to be divided into libraries, only to be put back into Libraries? Was this how the designers imagined the workflow?

I don't get how, or why the wedding production would be multiple movies. Are you saying that different "camera people" would deliver the material from their cameras and in this case we are calling that material movies? They would put that material into libraries?

This points to why I am having a hard time understanding the intended organizational structure. This makes imagining and creating a workflow awkward to frustrating.

All meaningful conversations begin with agreement of terms. Perhaps what is needed here is a dictionary of terms for FCPX. Is there such a thing?

Apr 28, 2016 10:48 AM in response to vinegarman

Swallowing and accepting the Apple "Way Of Re-Imagining Video Editing" is not an easy leap. But you have no choice if you want to use FCPX. If you can find a copy, get Tom's old FCPX book. It's hopelessly out of date because Apple keeps updating FCPX but the fundamentals are all there and working through Tom's training course is valuable experience toward understanding the system. You can do it on your own, of course, and there are thousands of free youtube and vimeo FCPX resources. Tom's book you can take to the gym.

I believe it was unnecessary for Apple to reinvent the editing paradigm so completely but, now that I've been using FCPX for a few years, going back into a more conventional track-based editor like Premiere is difficult. So I do't do that.

Apr 28, 2016 10:58 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Sho ya right!

I am trying to do just that. I have signed up for courses on macPro Video and Lynda.com and I have been watching videos on YouTube. What I am missing from them all is an explanation of how FCP X is "re_imagining" the organization of the files. I thought I had better try to get this straight before going too much further.

Apr 28, 2016 11:42 AM in response to vinegarman

TTwo directors, one editor, working while they shot, organized by assistants, it was more convenient to work on different sections in different libraries, also separate libraries with clips that had to go to VXF, as well as transfer libraries to move pieces around.

Weddings have multiple deliverables, the full ceremony, and separate videos for different aspects of the preparations, ceremony, and celebrations. The prices being paid for event videos these days you'd better be prepared to produce the Hollywood blockbuster with all effects and full grading together with different version cuts.

FCPX 10 Organization Translator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.