Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp doesn't open windows installer after restart

Hi guys,

I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Retina (early 2015), OS El Capitan 10.11.4. After mounting the ISO on a good USB drive (a Kingston 64GB USB Type C) and partitioning the hard drive with BootCamp, my mac doesn't load the Windows installer - it starts normally as a Mac OS.

I have already looked for similar questions around and tried (without success) to:

- Format the USB-C drive on FAT mode

- Reset SMC and NVRAM

Would you please help me in this? I am quite lost and would need to install Windows urgently!

Thanks in advance!

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 8:29 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2016 5:37 AM in response to andreadellacemit

Were you prompted for a USB by Bootcamp Assistant? Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/ as a reference. Your 2015 Macs should not need a USB, because they use an internal partition called OSXRESERVED.

The Windows ISO must be on your Mac. They are usually 3-4GB, larger ISOs are mixed-mode ISOs and do not work with BC Assistant.

If you use Windows Media Creation to tool to create a USB, it is not an ISO file, but the full installer with individual files.

bootcamp doesn't open windows installer after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.