Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB devices take two tries to work, and won't boot with Time Machine drive attached

I have a mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" from work (so I can't afford to take this into service for days at a time). My specs are as follows:

User uploaded file

I am running the latest version of El Capitan, 10.11.4.

My problem is that USB devices--such as external hard drives, Logitech USB headsets, thumb drives, etc.--always, and I mean always, require two plugins to be seen by the system. It never works the first time. I always have to plug in once, remove it, and plug it in again.

In addition, if I try to boot the system with my Time Machine/external USB HD drive, it refuses to boot at all. Only if I reboot it without any devices connected does it boot successfully.

My questions are: is this a software or a hardware problem? And has anyone seen this before? I'm thinking it's a hardware problem, though the latest patch notes imply that the last OS update may have addressed a similar issue with audio devices. (This would affect my Logitech USB headset presumably, but it hasn't helped.) If it's a hardware issue that requires a motherboard fix, I may not bother, since again it's a work machine that I can't part with for a long period of time unless IT is willing to swap me a machine on the spot. It doesn't affect most other day to day operation except I have to plug in devices twice all the time.

Thanks, everyone.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), null

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

USB devices take two tries to work, and won't boot with Time Machine drive attached

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.